Winter Storm Warning Issued For New England & Northeast
A winter storm watch has been issued for parts of New England and the Northeast as a nor’easter is expected to bring heavy snow, rain, strong winds, and power outages beginning Monday night. The wind, combined with the weight of the wet snow, will likely produce power outages for parts of the region.
The snow will likely begin Monday night and continue through Tuesday, tapering off early Wednesday morning. Snow totals will be highest in the higher elevations of Hillsborough county into the Monadnock Region, where over a foot of accumulation is possible. Elsewhere, a snowfall of 6-12 inches is anticipated; however, areas along the shoreline may experience slightly lower accumulations because of mixing, and those northwest of the White Mountains may receive less due to the lighter snow.
The strongest winds are expected along the immediate Coastline during the day on Tuesday, peaking late in the day and into the overnight. It is anticipated that gusts from the north-northeast direction could reach up to 60mph
Inland regions will experience the least wind speeds, yet they are still susceptible to power outages due to the heavy, wet snow and accompanying winds.
On Monday night, temperatures will drop and the rain will turn into a heavy wet snow, lasting throughout Tuesday. A winter storm warning has been issued for most of inland Connecticut Monday evening through Wednesday morning. A winter storm watch has been posted for all of New Hampshire except Coos county through Wednesday. A winter storm watch has been declared for Monday evening through Wednesday morning for the majority of Western Massachusetts, as well as the northern parts of Worcester and Middlesex Counties. This watch was issued early Sunday morning.
The National Weather Service has issued the following weather alerts: Winter Storm Warning and 4 more alerts. High tides on Tuesday may result in minor beach erosion and splashover, however, major coastal flooding is not anticipated. High winds combined with a heavy, wet snowfall may result in an increased chance of electricity outages.
According to the National Weather Service, travel may be anywhere from “very difficult” to “impossible” due to the storm. There is a risk of falling branches from the strong snowfall and wind gusts, and power outages are probable.
On Sunday night, temperatures will plunge to freezing and rain and snow showers are predicted to occur throughout the region. On Monday, we anticipate light snow accumulation with a probable 2″ coating.
0. “Connecticut will get snow Tuesday and it could be heavy at times” Hartford Courant, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.courant.com/2023/03/12/connecticut-will-get-snow-tuesday-and-it-could-be-heavy-at-times
1. “Heavy snow, mix and wind eyed in possible Nor'Easter to hit New Hampshire early next week” WMUR Manchester, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-snow-noreaster-weather-forecast-3112023/43279432
2. “Nor’easter expected to bring, snow, wind, some coastal flooding” Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News, 12 Mar. 2023, https://whdh.com/weather-blog/noreaster-expected-to-bring-snow-wind-some-coastal-flooding/
3. “Approaching nor’easter is expected to bring heavy snow, rain, strong winds, and power outages beginning Monday night” The Boston Globe, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/03/12/metro/approaching-noreaster-is-expected-bring-heavy-snow-rain-strong-winds-power-outages-beginning-monday-night/
4. “Paul Caiano: High-impact snowstorm will arrive Monday night” WNYT NewsChannel 13, 12 Mar. 2023, https://wnyt.com/weather-news/heavy-wet-snow-begins-monday-night/
5. “Winter storm arriving Monday” WBNG, 11 Mar. 2023, https://www.wbng.com/2023/03/11/winter-storm-arriving-monday
6. “Video: Light precipitation Monday afternoon before strongest of nor'easter” WMUR Manchester, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-weather-video-storm-monday-31223/43287648
7. “Nor'easter could bring up to foot of snow and soaking rain to CT, weather service says” CT Insider, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.ctinsider.com/news/article/ct-weather-nor-easter-snowstorm-17834545.php
8. “How much will it snow in PA Sunday into Tuesday?” PAHomePage.com, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.pahomepage.com/weather/how-much-will-it-in-pa-sunday-into-tuesday/