Tragic Shooting at Michigan State University Leaves Three Dead, Five Injured
On Monday night, a gunman unleashed a shooting rampage at Michigan State University, killing three students and critically injuring five. Police identified the shooter as Anthony McRae, who died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after being found off campus. The victims have been identified as Brian Fraser, Alexandria Verner, and Arielle Anderson.
The Phi Delta Theta fraternity was devastated to learn of the death of Brian Fraser, chapter president of the Michigan Beta Chapter of Phi Delta Theta at Michigan State University. “As the leader of his chapter, Brian was a great friend to his Phi Delt brothers, the Greek community at Michigan State, and those he interacted with on campus,” the post said.
The victims were all Michigan State students. Verner was a 2020 graduate of Clawson High School. Her parents, Ted and Nancy, and sister Charlotte and brother TJ are grieving and have felt the uplifting support of the community. Anderson's grandmother, April Davis, said Anderson was “kind, loving, caring, compassionate, driven,” and “very family oriented.” Huapilla-Perez was a Junior business major at MSU and the daughter of migrant workers from Florida.
According to court documents, in 2019 McRae was charged with a felony for concealing a weapon and a misdemeanor for having a loaded firearm in a car. He admitted his guilt of the minor offense, and was given probation as his punishment. The occurrence provoked queries as to why McRae was not blocked from obtaining a gun before the Monday shooting.
Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety (MSU DPPS) is conducting a comprehensive and thorough investigation regarding this tragic incident. The families of the victims have expressed gratitude for the outpouring of love and support they have received. Michigan coach Juwan Howard said, “We at Michigan, despite the sport and how we both are rivals, but when it comes to a tragedy like that, you put the sport aside. All you think about is those lost ones, that unfortunately had to deal with that situation. Our prayers and thoughts are with the families.
0. “I went to MSU—and I can't process the shooting that just happened there.” Slate, 14 Feb. 2023, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/02/michigan-state-shooting-students-protests.html
1. “MSU shooting victim’s fraternity brothers share photos, statement” WILX, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.wilx.com/2023/02/14/msu-shooting-victims-fraternity-brothers-shares-photos-statement
2. “Skull Session: Ohio State Sends Thoughts and Prayers to Michigan State, ESPN’s Computers Like the Football B” Eleven Warriors, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.elevenwarriors.com/skull-sessions/2023/02/137428/skull-session-ohio-state-sends-thoughts-and-prayers-to-michigan-state-buckeye-football-has-not-broken-espns-computers
3. “MSU victim, Clawson native Alexandria Verner leaves ‘a happy loving legacy'” Detroit News, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2023/02/14/msu-victim-clawson-native-alexandria-verner-leaves-a-happy-loving-legacy/69903506007
4. “Michigan State shooting victim Arielle Anderson wanted to become a doctor” Detroit Free Press, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/14/msu-shooting-victim-arielle-anderson-remembered/69904255007/
5. “Wednesday Morning Updates from Lansing on the MSU Shooting” 9&10 News, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.9and10news.com/2023/02/15/wednesday-morning-updates-from-lansing-on-the-msu-shooting
6. “Michigan State University shooter found dead from self-inflicted gunshot after hours-long manhunt” FOX 2 Detroit, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/shots-fired-on-michigan-state-university-campus-police-say-to-secure-in-place
7. “Republicans blocked gun reform laws a year before Michigan State shooting” The Guardian US, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/15/michigan-state-shooting-republicans-blocked-gun-reform-laws
8. “NEWS RELEASE: Active Shooter Incident – MSU Police and Public Safety” MSU Police, 14 Feb. 2023, https://police.msu.edu/2023/02/14/news-release-active-shooter-incident/
9. “Juwan Howard, Greg Gard pay tribute to victims of Michigan State tragedy” 247Sports, 15 Feb. 2023, https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Juwan-Howard-Greg-Gard-pay-tribute-to-victims-of-Michigan-State-tragedy-204775316