Tragedy Strikes Michigan State University: 3 Dead, 5 Injured in Campus Shooting
On Monday evening, tragedy struck the Michigan State University campus as a gunman opened fire in two buildings, killing three students and critically wounding five others. The suspected shooter, Anthony McRae, 43, was later found off-campus and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The three victims have been identified as Brian Fraser, a sophomore from Grosse Pointe; Alexandria Verner, a junior from Clawson; and Arielle Anderson, a junior also from Grosse Pointe.
Fraser was president of Michigan State's chapter of Phi Delta Theta, and the fraternity responded to the news of his death on Tuesday afternoon with a post which said, “As the leader of his chapter, Brian was a great friend to his Phi Delt brothers, the Greek community at Michigan State, and those he interacted with on campus. Phi Delta Theta sends its deepest condolences to the Fraser family, the Michigan Beta Chapter, and all those who loved Brian as they mourn their loss.”
McRae had previously been arrested and charged in June 2019 with carrying a concealed pistol without a concealed carry permit, according to court records.
The other two victims have been remembered for their ambition and kindness. Anderson had aspired to become a doctor, and her grandmother April Davis said she was “kind, loving, caring, compassionate, driven,” and “very family oriented.” Superintendent Billy Shellenbarger of Clawson Public Schools wrote of Verner that she “was a tremendous student, athlete, leader and exemplified kindness every day of her life.”
The five other victims remain in the hospital in critical condition, and a vigil will be held at the MSU rock at 6 p.m. Wednesday night was a tragedy for those who were killed, and for the five other victims who are fighting for their lives in the hospital. The rock was painted with the question, “How many more?” following the shooting.
In addition, a GoFundMe has been set up for one of the victims, Guadalupe Huapilla-Perez, who is a student in the university's College Assistance Migrant Program. Her sister wrote that she “is a long way from returning to us as she was” and “doctors tell us that even in improving conditions, the process for a full recovery will take months of care and subsequent rehabilitation.
0. “MSU student killed in mass shooting was ‘sweetest human,’ planned to be surgeon” MLive.com, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/02/msu-student-killed-in-mass-shooting-was-sweetest-human-planned-to-be-surgeon.html
1. “Another message appears on ‘The Rock’ at Michigan State University” WNEM, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.wnem.com/2023/02/15/new-message-appears-rock-michigan-state-university/
2. “Michigan State shooting victims identified as Alexandria Verner, Brian Fraser, Arielle Anderson” CBS News, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/msu-shooting-victims-brian-fraser-alexandria-verner-arielle-anderson-michigan-state-university
3. “Republicans blocked gun reform laws a year before Michigan State shooting” The Guardian US, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/15/michigan-state-shooting-republicans-blocked-gun-reform-laws
4. “Michigan State shooting victim Arielle Anderson wanted to become a doctor” Detroit Free Press, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/14/msu-shooting-victim-arielle-anderson-remembered/69904255007/
5. “She was ‘everything you'd want your daughter or friend to be.' Here's what we know about the Michigan State University shooting victims” CNN, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/us/victims-michigan-state-university-shooting/index.html
6. “Wednesday Morning Updates from Lansing on the MSU Shooting” 9&10 News, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.9and10news.com/2023/02/15/wednesday-morning-updates-from-lansing-on-the-msu-shooting
7. “Pro-gun message on MSU's Rock painted over to honor students killed” Lansing State Journal, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/02/15/michigan-state-mass-shooting-pro-gun-message-rock-painted-over-honor-students-killed/69906535007/
8. “Wounded MSU student identified, sister starts online fundraiser for medical bills” Detroit News, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/14/michigan-state-university-five-wounded-mass-shooting-gofundme-fundraiser-guadalupe-huapilla-perez/69904996007/
9. “GoFundMe started for MSU student Guadalupe Huapilla-Perez” Detroit Free Press, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/15/gofundme-michigan-state-university-shooting-guadalupe-huapilla-perez/69905933007/