San Francisco Explosion and Fire Leaves Five Families Displaced, One Man Arrested
On Friday, police arrested 53-year-old Darron Price of San Francisco in connection with an explosion and fire that occurred in the Outer Sunset neighborhood a day earlier. Price is facing charges of involuntary manslaughter, manufacturing a controlled substance, four counts of reckless burning, two counts of child endangerment, and one count of elder abuse for allegedly “proximately” causing bodily injury to the caretaker of the residence.
The explosion and fire destroyed two homes and damaged a dozen more, leaving five families displaced. According to the San Francisco Fire Department, one firefighter was injured while putting out the three-alarm fire.
The victim, 51-year-old Rita Price, was identified by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. The caretaker of the home, Lisa, suffered severe burns and was transported to a hospital. Despite the horrific experience, friends report that Lisa was conscious enough to tell people that her disabled employer was still inside the house and needed help.
Police suspect that an active illegal narcotics manufacturing lab was in the home, which was likely responsible for the explosion. They believe the lab was manufacturing hash oil and phencyclidine, also known as PCP. A police source also said that Lisa was doing laundry when the dryer might have sparked the explosion.
San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins said in a statement, “We must send a clear message that the manufacture of dangerous drugs will not be tolerated in San Francisco; this activity is not only dangerous for the individuals involved but entire neighborhoods as this case so tragically demonstrates.”
In response to the tragedy, Supervisor Joel Engardio is organizing a private town hall meeting this Wednesday to offer support and resources to affected residents.
Price is being held in San Francisco County Jail without bail. The case remains an active investigation, with police asking anyone with information to call the 24-hour tip line at (415)575-4444 or text a tip to TIP411 and begin the text message with SFPD.
0. “SF home explosion neighbor recalls suspect bringing in ‘heavy industrial equipment'” msnNOW, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sf-home-explosion-neighbor-recalls-suspect-bringing-in-heavy-industrial-equipment/ar-AA17rCPP
1. “Home drug lab suspected in San Francisco explosion that killed one, injured two” WSB Radio, 12 Feb. 2023, https://www.wsbradio.com/news/national/home-drug-lab/C5XS6DEBCAU3RTZL6JFFDIJYUI/
2. “House explodes and erupts into flames in massive blast killing one captured on CCTV” The Mirror, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/house-explodes-erupts-flames-massive-29207507
3. “2 injured in 3-alarm fire in San Francisco, 3 homes impacted” KMAland, 9 Feb. 2023, https://www.kmaland.com/news/national_news/2-injured-in-3-alarm-fire-in-san-francisco-3-homes-impacted/article_bd536257-7cf6-526c-941e-ebd5245d959b.html
4. “Woman Killed in San Francisco Home Explosion, Fire Identified” NBC Bay Area, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/san-francisco-home-explosion-fire-victim-identified/3158138
5. “SF house explosion suspect in court” KRON4, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/san-francisco-house-explosion-suspect-charged-with-multiple-felonies/
6. “Deadly explosion in the Sunset District raises safety concerns” Axios, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.axios.com/local/san-francisco/2023/02/14/sunset-district-explosion-public-safety-concerns
7. “Suspect Arrested In Sunset Home Explosion Was Allegedly Making PCP and/or Hash Oil In the House” SFist, 11 Feb. 2023, https://sfist.com/2023/02/11/suspect-arrested-in-sunset-home-explosion-was-allegedly-making-pcp/
8. “51-Year-Old Woman Killed In Sunset Explosion ID'd; GoFundMe Launched For Injured Caregiver” SFist, 15 Feb. 2023, https://sfist.com/2023/02/15/51-year-old-woman-killed-in-sunset-explosion-identified
9. “Suspect in Deadly San Francisco Home Explosion, Fire Charged With Multiple Felonies” NBC Bay Area, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/suspect-charges-san-francisco-home-explosion-fire/3158170/
10. “Explosion in San Francisco Neighborhood Caused by Drug Factory, Police Department Says” The Epoch Times, 12 Feb. 2023, https://www.theepochtimes.com/explosion-in-san-francisco-neighborhood-caused-by-drug-factory-police-department-says_5051468.html