North Texas Residents Prepare for Winter Storm Warning, Flight Cancellations, and Road Closures
Residents of North Texas are bracing for a wintry mix of freezing rain, sleet, and snow starting Monday night and lasting until Thursday morning. A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for Denton County and the rest of North Texas through noon Wednesday, with a 60% chance of freezing rain likely before 9 a.m., then freezing rain and sleet likely between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. From 3 p.m. onwards, there is a possibility of freezing rain. Cloudy conditions are expected, with temperatures reaching a high of 30 and wind gusts of up to 20 mph.
Hundreds of flights have been canceled by American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, including nearly 700 in and out of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and nearly 200 out of Dallas Love Field. In addition, school districts have announced closures this week and businesses have adjusted their hours or closed temporarily for the safety of their employees and customers.
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) began pre-treating bridges and overpasses in North Texas with a brine solution on Friday when it was warm and sunny. Austin TxDOT crews also pretreated major roadways Monday morning ahead of the wintry precipitation and cold temperatures.
Ice accumulations from a glazing to one tenth of an inch are possible, with the possibility of power outages, downed power lines, tree damage, and other infrastructure issues. Temperatures will remain at or below freezing until Wednesday, causing dangerous road conditions. Drivers are advised to drive slowly and increase the distance between their vehicle and others, as they may need additional room to stop.
On Wednesday, February 1st, 2023, the National Weather Service is predicting a major shift in precipitation, with an 80% chance of precipitation. There may be some wintery precipitation in the morning, but temperatures are expected to rise above freezing to 38 degrees. Rain is likely to continue into Wednesday night with temperatures reaching a low 32 degrees.
Rain chances are forecasted to decrease by Thursday and temperatures are expected to increase. Fair weather is expected to resume on Friday, leading to a weekend with highs in the low 60s.
Be mindful of the crews that are taking necessary steps to prepare for the winter weather that is coming to our area. If sleet, freezing rain, or snow is forecast, it is advisable to not travel and to keep an eye on road conditions by visiting Drive Texas or calling (800) 452-9292.
0. “These Austin Restaurants, Food Trucks, and Bars Are Adjusting Hours or Closing Because of Winter Storm” Eater Austin, 30 Jan. 2023, https://austin.eater.com/2023/1/30/23578620/austin-winter-storm-january-2023-restaurants-closed-adjusted-hours
1. “Treacherous travel reported in Texas as dangerous ice storm targets 30 million in South this week” Fox Weather , 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/ice-storm-threat-dallas-texas-southern-plains
2. “Artic front could bring sleet and ice as Winter Storm Watch issued for Wichita Falls, Texoma; Texoma’s Weather Authority” KFDX – Texomashomepage.com, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/local-news/artic-front-could-bring-sleet-and-ice-as-winter-storm-watch-issued-for-wichita-falls-texoma-texomas-weather-authority/
3. “Winter Storm Warning Issued for North Texas Through Wednesday 9 a.m.” NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/weather-connection/a-series-of-disturbances-will-lead-to-rain-maybe-wintry-weather-next-week/3180374
4. “Dallas Weather: Roads expected to be icy Monday afternoon” FOX 4 News Dallas-Fort Worth, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-weather-roads-icy-traffic-conditions
5. “TxDOT Austin pretreating major roadways ahead of wintry weather” KXAN.com, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/txdot-austin-pretreating-major-roadways-ahead-of-wintry-weather
6. “3 Day Winter Storm Warning Issued” San Angelo LIVE!, 30 Jan. 2023, https://sanangelolive.com/news/outdoors/2023-01-30/3-day-winter-storm-warning-issued
7. “Here's what's closed on Tuesday” The Cross Timbers Gazette, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/2023/01/30/heres-whats-closed-on-tuesday/
8. “Central Texas weather: Winter storm watch upgraded to warning” FOX 7 Austin, 29 Jan. 2023, https://www.fox7austin.com/weather/weather-forecast-central-texas-winter-storm-watch
9. “Austin weather: Freezing rain, ice possible this week” Austin American-Statesman, 29 Jan. 2023, https://www.statesman.com/story/weather/2023/01/29/austin-weather-freezing-rain-ice-central-texas/69852422007/
10. “TxDOT & Bexar County prepare for icy bridges & overpasses; county breaks out beet-juice mix for first time” KSAT San Antonio, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/01/30/txdot-bexar-county-prepare-for-icy-bridges-overpasses-county-breaks-out-beet-juice-mix-for-first-time/