Gunman Kills Five at Bank in Downtown Louisville, Kentucky
On Monday, April 15th, a gunman opened fire at an Old National Bank branch in downtown Louisville, Kentucky, killing five employees and injuring at least nine others. The victims were identified as Josh Barrick, 40, Deana Eckert, 57, Tommy Elliott, 63, Juliana Farmer, 45, and Jim Tutt Jr., 64. The shooter, identified as 25-year-old Connor Sturgeon, was an employee of the bank and had legally purchased an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle just six days before the shooting.
Body camera footage released by the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department showed responding officers exchanging gunfire with Sturgeon from outside the building. Two officers, Cory Galloway and Nickolas Wilt, were shot by Sturgeon. Wilt received a gunshot wound to the head and had to undergo a surgical procedure on his brain. A grazing wound was inflicted on Galloway's left side. Sturgeon was shot and killed by Galloway during the shootout.
Sturgeon's former friend and teammate from high school described him as “smart, popular, and a star athlete” but also revealed that Sturgeon had struggled with self-esteem and making friends. In a college essay from 2018, Sturgeon had written about his struggles with self-esteem, stating that he had “more experience than most in operating alone.” Sturgeon had also left a note and texted someone prior to the shooting that he was suicidal, according to U.S. Rep. Morgan McGarvey.
Gov. Andy Beshear revealed that one of the victims, Tommy Elliott, was one of his closest friends. Beshear described Elliott as someone who helped him build his law career, become governor, and gave him advice on being a good dad. “He was an incredible friend,” Beshear said.
In the aftermath of the shooting, the Louisville community came together to hold prayer vigils and mourn the loss of the victims. The mayor announced a community prayer vigil at the Muhammad Ali Center plaza.
The tragic shooting at the Old National Bank has once again brought attention to the issue of gun violence in the United States. Despite efforts to enact stricter gun control laws, shootings like this continue to occur. It is a reminder that more needs to be done to address this issue and prevent further loss of life.
0. “Shooter in Louisville purchased AR-15 rifle legally: Police chief” Al Jazeera English, 11 Apr. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/11/attacker-in-louisville-shooting-purchased-gun-legally
1. “Louisville bank shooting bodycam footage released” CBS News, 11 Apr. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/louisville-bank-shooting-police-bodycam-footage/
2. “Louisville Shooting: Disturbing New Details of Suspect Connor Sturgeon's Livestreamed Carnage” The Daily Beast, 11 Apr. 2023, https://www.thedailybeast.com/louisville-shooting-disturbing-details-of-suspects-livestream-emerge
3. “Louisville, Kentucky: Gunman kills five in bank shooting” BBC, 11 Apr. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65233350
4. “Louisville bank shooter Connor Sturgeon's family: There were no warning signs” Courier Journal, 12 Apr. 2023, https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2023/04/11/louisville-bank-shooter-connor-sturgeon-wrote-of-negative-self-image/70099201007
5. “Who is the Louisville shooter who killed 5 people at bank? What we know about suspect, motive.” Yahoo News, 11 Apr. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/louisville-shooter-killed-four-people-162024995.html
6. “Louisville Bank Massacre Suspect ID'd as Varsity Hoop Star-Turned-Banker” The Daily Beast, 11 Apr. 2023, https://www.thedailybeast.com/louisville-bank-massacre-suspect-idd-as-ex-varsity-star-connor-sturgeon
7. “Thomas Elliott, bank VP and Beshear ‘close friend,’ among dead in Louisville shooting” Lexington Herald Leader, 10 Apr. 2023, https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article274172200.html
8. “‘These people didn't deserve this’: Louisville mourns victims of Old National Bank shooting” WLWT Cincinnati, 12 Apr. 2023, https://www.wlwt.com/article/louisville-mourns-victims-of-old-national-bank-mass-shooting/43571136