Baltimore County Detective Shot in Line of Duty; Suspect in Custody
On Wednesday, February 9th, a Baltimore County detective was shot in the line of duty while searching for an armed fugitive. Dr. Thomas Scalea, the physician-in-chief of Shock Trauma, reported that the detective had been struck multiple times in the torso and was on life support. In response to the manhunt, Baltimore County Public Schools closed six schools on Thursday, and the Archdiocese of Baltimore closed St. Joseph School in Cockeysville. Residents in the area of Powers Avenue in Cockeysville were then asked to shelter in place until further notice.
Early this morning, David Emory Linthicum, aged 24, was apprehended after he had run into a wooded area close to Fallston Mall the night before. He has been charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault and firearm use, according to court documents. He is described as a white male, with auburn hair, facial hair and believe hair is longer than the image provided by police.
The Baltimore County Police Department, Harford County Sheriff's office, Maryland State Police, FBI, and ATF were all involved in the manhunt. Linthicum was eventually located on Thursday evening by police who had the suspect identified within a “perimeter” in Fallston. He was arrested early on Friday morning after an hours-long standoff with officers.
The detective was released from the hospital Wednesday evening and is in good spirits. On behalf of the people of Baltimore County, officials thanked the police, sheriff's office, and federal law enforcement partners for their efforts to successfully apprehend the suspect.
The area of Maryland Route 152, U.S. Route 1, Old Joppa Road and Milton Avenue were asked to shelter in place due to police activity. Schools in the Fallston area were closed due to the policy activity related to the manhunt.
Marylanders are asked to offer their hearts, thoughts, and prayers for the detective as he recuperates from his injuries. His comrades and himself are true heroes who selflessly risk their lives to safeguard Marylanders. We are eternally thankful for their daily sacrifices in our state.
0. “Manhunt continues for armed man ‘in crisis' who allegedly shot officer in Cockeysville” CBS News, 9 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/david-linthicum-manhunt-baltimore-county-cockeysville-barricade-officer-shot/
1. “Suspect taken into custody in Fallston after detective shot in Cockeysville” WBAL TV Baltimore, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.wbaltv.com/article/powers-avenue-cockeysville-shelter-in-place/42804332
2. “Cockeysville police shooting suspect in custody after eight-hour standoff, Harford County Sheriff's Office says” Baltimore Sun, 9 Feb. 2023, https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-cr-sherwood-road-barricade-20230209-2unmlv5exfb57dspid23blyqou-story.html
3. “Six Baltimore County schools, senior center closed as manhunt continues” CBS News, 9 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/baltimore-county-schools-cockeysville-senior-center-closed-as-manhunt-continues/
4. “Latest on suspect taken into custody and officer shot” WBAL TV Baltimore, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.wbaltv.com/article/latest-on-suspect-taken-into-custody-officer-shot/42824638
5. “Police charge David Linthicum with attempted murder after shooting of two officers and search from Cockeysville to …” Baltimore Sun, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-co-cr-david-linthicum-baltimore-county-shooting-20230210-5wel5nhmaje5hazbg6koq3ggeu-story.html
6. “David Linthicum arrested and charged after multi-day manhunt” CBS News, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/david-linthicum-arrested-in-fallston-after-manhunt-detective
7. “Who Is David Linthicum? Suspected Police Killer Held in Baltimore” Newsweek, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/who-david-linthicum-suspected-police-killer-baltimore-1780389
8. “After allegedly shooting two officers and spending two days on the run, David Linthicum is in custody” wmar2news.com, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.wmar2news.com/local/after-allegedly-shooting-two-officers-and-spending-two-days-on-the-run-david-linthicum-is-in-custody
9. “Manhunt ends after suspect captured in Harford County” wmar2news.com, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.wmar2news.com/local/manhunt-extended-to-harford-co-after-suspect-shot-another-officer