Winter Weather Advisory & Snow Emergencies in Central Ohio: What to Expect
The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for much of central Ohio at midnight Tuesday and will remain in effect until 1 p.m. Today The advisory is issued whenever one or more of the following is expected: Snow of 3 to 5 inches in 12 hours, sleet accumulation up to 1/4 inch, freezing rain in combination with sleet and/or snow, or blowing snow.
The winter weather advisory is set to lift at 3 p.m. Today Snow is likely before 8 a.m., with snow showers mainly between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. It will be cloudy and cold with a high near 32 degrees. After 8 a.m., the possibility of snow showers exists. Thursday and a chance of snow showers before 8 a.m. Friday. A winter storm warning takes effect early Wednesday across central Indiana, with 3 to 9 inches of snow by Wednesday evening.
For those venturing out in northern Ohio, snow is expected to start before sunrise Wednesday, covering roads with snow for the AM commute. Plan on a gradual transition from snow to rain late morning through midday as temperatures warm into the upper 30s, with scattered heavy rain continuing through the afternoon into the evening before temperatures drop and snow takes back over. The Thursday morning commute will be affected by snow again.
Sheriff's offices in Richland and Knox counties declared Level 1 snow emergencies on Sunday morning. At approximately 8 a.m., a Level 1 snow emergency was declared in both Richland and Crawford counties. Today
The road has been shut down for several hours.
First Energy reported fewer than five power outages in Summit County and zero outages in Stark, Medina, Portage and Wayne counties. Both Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and Akron-Canton Airport are operating near their usual capacity, as indicated on their respective websites.
When will the snow cease? The National Weather Service predicts it will start to snow early Wednesday, with the heaviest of the snowfall coming down.
0. “Ask a Meteorologist: Another winter storm on the way” Spectrum News 1, 25 Jan. 2023, https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/weather/2023/01/24/ask-a-met-ohio
1. “Snow Emergencies issued in the Miami Valley” WDTN.com, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.wdtn.com/weather/severe-weather/winter-storm-alerts-issued-for-the-miami-valley/
2. “WINTER STORM: Snow & rain impacting Ohio on Wednesday” News 5 Cleveland WEWS, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.news5cleveland.com/weather/winter-storm-heavy-snow-rain-and-wind-impacting-ohio-on-wednesday
3. “Overnight winter storm continues this morning; Up to 6 inches expected” Hamilton Journal News, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.journal-news.com/local/second-snow-storm-this-week-expected-to-hit-dayton-area-tonight/3W72VWZHTNHSTAOECLXAXLYDNU/
4. “3 to 9 inches of snow expected; MCCSC switches to E-learning Day” Indiana Public Media, 24 Jan. 2023, https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/4-to-8-inches-of-snow-expected-wednesday.php
5. “LIVE UPDATES | Wintry weather impacts Northeast Ohio: Traffic updates, school closings and more” WKYC.com, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.wkyc.com/article/weather/winter-weather-alert-accumulating-snow-northeast-ohio-cleveland-january-13/95-6c590e2a-b17a-46ba-84cd-355aff3cfed8
6. “Winter weather advisory in effect: Winter storm updates for Akron area” Akron Beacon Journal, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/weather/2023/01/25/weather-radar-akron-winter-storm-updates-northern-ohio-snow-rain/69835605007
7. “Winter weather update for Canton, Massillon, Alliance, Stark County” Canton Repository, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/2023/01/25/townships-dont-park-on-township-streets-due-to-expected-snowfall/69838948007/