VP Harris Blasts DeSantis’ Ukraine Comments on “The Late Show
Vice President Kamala Harris was a guest on “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” on March 15th where she discussed a variety of topics, including Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ comments on the war in Ukraine. Harris blasted DeSantis for characterizing the invasion as a “territorial dispute”, arguing that if the rising Republican “really understand(s) the issues, you probably would not make statements like that.”
The vice president went on to contrast her own experience meeting with world leaders with that of a regional lawmaker. She further explained her stance on international rules and norms, stressing the importance of the United States standing firm against any nation that would try to take by force another nation.
The two also discussed the restrictive laws that have been passed since Roe V. Wade was overturned by the Supreme Court. Harris referred to such laws as “the height of irresponsibility and, in fact, in many case, inhumane” and expressed her opposition to criminalizing health care providers or punishing women for seeking the care they need.
When asked by Colbert, Harris declined to give a formal statement revealing whether or not herself and President Joe Biden would be seeking re-election. Rather, she and the host echoed what Biden has often said: That he is “intends to run” and if he does, Harris will be “running alongside him.”
Harris also spoke about the issues that will define the coming election, stating that the Biden administration has put $1 trillion towards addressing the climate crisis. Finally, she addressed DeSantis’ comments on the war in Ukraine, claiming that his lack of experience on the world stage was the cause of his mischaracterization. Former ambassador to the United Nations and declared 2024 presidential candidate Nikki Haley agreed with Trump’s assessment of DeSantis, saying that “Republicans deserve a choice, not an echo.
0. “Stephen Colbert calls out Kamala Harris sidestepping question of what her ‘actual role' is as vice president” Fox News, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/media/stephen-colbert-calls-out-kamala-harris-sidestepping-question-her-actual-role-vice-president
1. “Harris pushes back on DeSantis remarks that war in Ukraine is ‘territorial dispute'” WIVT – NewsChannel 34, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/hill-politics/harris-pushes-back-on-desantis-remarks-that-war-in-ukraine-is-territorial-dispute/
2. “Harris blasts DeSantis over Ukraine remarks, lack of experience” Yahoo News, 16 Mar. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/harris-blasts-desantis-over-ukraine-131611425.html
3. “Kamala Harris Slams Ron DeSantis' Ukraine Statement” Yahoo News, 16 Mar. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/kamala-harris-slams-ron-desantis-053159100.html
4. “Kamala Harris Downplays Ron DeSantis’ Understanding of the Russia-Ukraine Conflict on ‘Colbert’” Rolling Stone, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/kamala-harris-colbert-interview-1234697760/
5. “VP Kamala Harris Visits Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Talks Abortion Rights, Ukraine and 2024 Election” Hollywood Reporter, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/kamala-harris-late-show-colbert-abortion-rights-ukraine-2024-election-1235353953/
6. “Kamala Harris Tells Colbert That Ron DeSantis' Ukraine Comment Was Naive: Florida Governor” TheWrap, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.thewrap.com/kamala-harris-colbert-ron-desantis-ukraine-lack-experience/