US Secretary of State Warns China Over Potential Support for Russia in Ukraine Conflict
As the conflict between Russia and Ukraine nears its one-year mark, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has expressed his concerns about China potentially supplying weapons and ammunition to Russia. During the Munich Security Conference in Germany, Blinken met with China’s top foreign policy official, Wang Yi, to reiterate warnings the Biden administration has sent to Beijing since the outset of the war.
The U.S. is beginning to see “disturbing” trends in China’s support for Russia’s military, US officials familiar with the intelligence tell CNN. This could include material for the expected spring offensive, such as uniforms or body armor.
Blinken made it clear to his Chinese counterpart that providing lethal support to Russia would cause serious problems for the U.S. and their relationship with China. He also mentioned Vice President Kamala Harris's announcement in Munich that the U.S. had formally determined that Russia has committed crimes against humanity in Ukraine.
The G7 countries are also discussing the imposition of sanctions on Iranian, Chinese and North Korean companies involved in the transfer of technology and chips to Russia. By February 24th, the G7 is aiming to have a set of sanctions coordinated.
In addition, Blinken commented on the Chinese spy balloon coming over the U.S., saying he made it clear to Wang that it was “unacceptable and must never happen again.” He also warned of “serious consequences” for supporting Russia in its war against Ukraine.
It is uncertain what kind of support China may be providing for Russia. However, the U.S. is taking the situation seriously, with allies and partners at the Munich Security Conference discussing a package of measures by Feb. 24. The U.S. is also looking into the possibility of determining genocide, with Blinken stating they will look at every possible termination and follow the facts and the law.
0. “Blinken claims China ‘strongly considering’ providing Russia with ‘lethal assistance’” Yahoo News, 18 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/blinken-claims-china-strongly-considering-220505391.html
1. “US Warns China for Supporting Russia Against Ukraine” Baaghi TV, 19 Feb. 2023, https://en.baaghitv.com/us-warns-china-for-supporting-russia-against-ukraine/
2. “February 18, 2023 Russia-Ukraine news” CNN, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-2-18-23-intl/h_9e476912605da360dac6521f6a126d05
3. “U.S. Secretary of State: China considers providing lethal su…” MENAFN.COM, 19 Feb. 2023, https://menafn.com/1105597859/US-Secretary-of-State-China-considers-providing-lethal-support-to-aid-Russia-in-Ukraine-War
4. “China considering providing “lethal support” to aid Russian invasion of Ukraine, Blinken says” CBS News, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/antony-blinken-china-russia-lethal-support-ukraine-face-the-nation/
5. “Bloomberg: US Concerned over China, Iran Helping Russia Import Foreign Chips G7 … – Latest Tweet by The” LatestLY, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.latestly.com/socially/world/bloomberg-us-concerned-over-china-iran-helping-russia-import-foreign-chipsg7-latest-tweet-by-the-kyiv-independent-4851099.html
6. “US Concerned About Iran’s Supply Of Technology, Hardware To Russia” ایران اینترنشنال, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.iranintl.com/en/202302160024
7. “Blinken: China is weighing giving Russia ‘lethal assistance' in war with Ukraine” Daily Mail, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11769045/Blinken-China-weighing-giving-Russia-lethal-assistance-war-Ukraine.html