US Blacklists 6 Chinese Companies Over Alleged Military Aerospace Programs
The US Commerce Department has blacklisted six Chinese companies over their alleged links to the military’s aerospace programs, including airships and balloons, used for intelligence and reconnaissance activities. The move, which comes after a Chinese balloon suspected of carrying out surveillance flew over the US last week, is likely to further a political rift between the world’s two largest economies.
The entities now restricted from obtaining US items and technologies without government authorization include Beijing Nanjiang Aerospace Technology Co., China Electronics Technology Group Corporation 48th Research Institute, Dongguan Lingkong Remote Sensing Technology Co., Eagles Men Aviation Science and Technology Group Co., Guangzhou Tian-Hai-Xiang Aviation Technology Co., and Shanxi Eagles Men Aviation Science and Technology Group Co.
The Commerce Department said in a statement that the move “sends a clear message to companies, governments, and other stakeholders globally that the entities on the list present a threat to national security.”
China’s Foreign Ministry expressed opposition to the US’s decision, with spokesman Wang Wenbin saying, “China is firmly opposed to this and will take countermeasures against relevant US entities that undermine China’s sovereignty and security in accordance with the law.” Wang did not provide any details about what those countermeasures would be, but said China will “resolutely safeguard national sovereignty and its legitimate rights and interests.”
The US Air Force shot down the balloon off the South Carolina coast last Saturday after it spent days traversing the US. Wang accused the US of “abusing force, overreacting, escalating the situation, and using this as a pretext to illegally sanction Chinese companies and institutions.
0. “Sanctioned Chinese Balloon Firm Linked to ‘Terminator of Drones'” Bloomberg, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-13/sanctioned-chinese-balloon-firm-linked-to-terminator-of-drones
1. “China's spy balloon barrage earns six of its companies a spot on US entity list” The Register, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.theregister.com/2023/02/13/chinese_balloon_tech_companies_banned/
2. “U.S. blacklists 6 Chinese entities it says are linked to balloon program” Axios, 11 Feb. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/02/11/china-balloon-usa-blacklist-companies
3. “China vows countermeasures over US blacklist of firms linked to suspected spying programme” The Straits Times, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/china-vows-to-take-countermeasures-over-us-blacklist-of-firms-linked-to-spying-programme
4. “Chinese Balloons Means Growing U.S. Blacklist. The Big Ones Aren't On the List.” Barron's, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.barrons.com/articles/china-balloon-blacklist-alibaba-b5a75df4