US Air Force National Guard Employee Arrested for Leaking Classified Information on Discord Chatroom
On Thursday, Jack Teixeira, a 21-year-old employee of the United States Air Force National Guard, was arrested in connection with an investigation into the alleged unauthorized removal, retention, and transmission of classified national defense information. Teixeira is believed to be the head of an invite-only Discord chatroom called Thug Shaker Central, where information from the classified documents was first posted months ago. According to court documents, Teixeira used his government computer to search classified intelligence reporting for the word “leak” on April 6, which may suggest he was searching for updates on potential intelligence about his own actions.
The arrest of Teixeira came after dozens of leaked documents were posted online, revealing US assessments of the war in Ukraine, as well as sensitive secrets about American allies. The documents, many of which were labeled top secret, largely pertained to the war in Ukraine, and some have expressed concern that their exposure could put Ukrainian forces at a disadvantage. The leak raises serious questions about how the government safeguards its secrets and has placed Washington in an awkward position with key allies.
Teixeira made his initial appearance in US District Court in Boston on Friday to face the charges against him. In shackles, he was taken to the courtroom but did not plead before leaving. On Wednesday, he is scheduled to appear in court for a hearing that will decide if he will continue to be held in custody until his trial. Teixeira has been charged with unauthorized retention and transmission of national defense information and unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents or material, and could face over a decade in prison.
Teixeira's official title was cyber defense operations journeyman, and he held the rank of Airman 1st Class – a relatively junior position. In 2021, he was granted a Top Secret security clearance and given access to other extremely classified programs. Teixeira worked in the 102nd Intelligence Wing of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, where he was involved in a “24/7 operational mission” that packages intelligence from different sources into a summary for the most senior military leaders around the world.
In a statement, President Joe Biden expressed gratitude to law enforcement for their swift efforts in investigating the origin of the leaked information. He stated that he has instructed the US military and intelligence to safeguard and restrict the dissemination of any further confidential data. Meanwhile, Attorney General Merrick Garland said the investigation into the leak is ongoing.
The leaked intelligence material first appeared in a Discord chat room on which Teixeira is said to have been an administrator. Geopolitical affairs and wars were often discussed by the members. Teixeira is believed to have posted national defense information and other classified documents on the platform, which he would have had access to as part of his job in cyber defense operations with the Air National Guard.
The leak of classified information has ignited diplomatic fires for the White House, with former CIA and military officers describing the leak as embarrassing for the US. The leak has raised concerns about how the government safeguards its secrets and has placed Washington in an awkward position with key allies.
As the court session concluded, a male individual in the room exclaimed, “Jack, I love you.” Without turning around, Teixeira replied, “Same to you, Dad.” The hearing will continue on Wednesday, where the presiding US judge, David Hennessy, will hear arguments over Teixeira's detention ahead of a trial.
0. “An Arrest in the Classified Documents Leak – The Journal. – WSJ Podcasts” The Wall Street Journal, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/an-arrest-in-the-classified-documents-leak/dc8c06e3-29f9-4b54-8878-4a9d99815598
1. “Pentagon leak suspect searched ‘leak' on classified network after story broke: FBI” Fox News, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pentagon-leak-suspect-searched-leak-classified-network-story-broke-fbi
2. “Suspect charged in Pentagon documents leak case” CNN, 15 Apr. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/14/politics/classified-leaks-suspect-arraignment/index.html
3. “Pentagon leak suspect Jack Teixeira was reading book before FBI arrest” Business Insider, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/jack-teixeira-pentagon-leak-suspect-arrest-dighton-ma-2023-4
4. “What we know about Jack Teixeira, alleged Pentagon leaker” Al Jazeera English, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/13/what-we-know-about-jack-teixeira-alleged-pentagon-leaker
5. “Man arrested in connection with intel leak: ‘Actions speak louder than words'” CNN, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/14/politics/jack-teixeira-profile/index.html
6. “What we know about suspected Pentagon leaker Jack Teixeira” The Hill, 13 Apr. 2023, https://thehill.com/homenews/3949172-what-we-know-about-suspected-pentagon-leaker-jack-teixera/
7. “Jack Teixeira: US airman charged over Pentagon documents leak” BBC, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65270966
8. “Pentagon document leak suspect arraigned in Massachusetts court” NPR, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.npr.org/2023/04/14/1169969044/pentagon-leak-intelligence-documents
9. “Jack Teixeira, suspect in Pentagon leaks, charged under Espionage Act” The Guardian US, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/14/jack-teixeira-charged-pentagon-leaks-espionage-act
10. “‘How on earth?’: Questions swirl around suspected US leaker” Al Jazeera English, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/14/how-on-earth-questions-swirl-around-suspected-us-leaker
11. “Alleged Pentagon leaker charged under Espionage Act” The Hill, 14 Apr. 2023, https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3950584-alleged-pentagon-leaker-charged-under-espionage-act/