Tragic Shooting at Michigan State University Leaves Three Dead and Five Injured
On Monday evening, a gunman killed three students and injured five more at two Michigan State University buildings. The three slain students were identified as Alexandria Verner, 20, of Clawson; Brian Fraser, 20, of Grosse Pointe; and Arielle Anderson, 19, also of Grosse Pointe. The five students who were injured remain in critical condition at Sparrow Hospital, although one has been upgraded to stable.
The shooter, 43-year-old Anthony McRae, was found several miles from campus in North Lansing and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. McRae had two 9mm handguns and multiple rounds of ammunition with him, including eight loaded magazines in a backpack, along with two empty magazines and a pouch filled with 9mm ammunition. It is believed that McRae purchased the guns legally, but they were not registered.
The fraternity Phi Delta Theta stated in a statement that Fraser was the president of the Michigan Beta Chapter. The fraternity noted that he was an excellent leader and friend to his fraternity brothers, the Greek community, and all those he encountered on campus.
The university held a candlelit vigil for the victims on Wednesday, and thousands gathered around the Rock — a campus landmark — to pay their respects. Michigan State University will also be holding a vigil at 6 p.m. Wednesday on the university’s Rock on Farm Lane to support victims and recognize first-responders.
Two of the five injured were students from China, according to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago.
The motive for the shooting is still unclear and authorities are still working to investigate the incident.
0. “MSU holds update on latest developments in mass shooting” Detroit News, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/16/msu-shooting-update-police-condition-wounded-anthony-macrae/69907629007/
1. “Another message appears on ‘The Rock' at Michigan State University” WNEM, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.wnem.com/2023/02/15/new-message-appears-rock-michigan-state-university/
2. “Michigan State shooting victim was 2020 Hartland graduate” Daily Press & Argus, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.livingstondaily.com/story/news/local/2023/02/16/michigan-state-mass-shooting-victim-was-2020-hartland-graduate/69910534007
3. “Thousands gather at MSU's Rock to mourn for victims of mass shooting” Lansing State Journal, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/02/15/michigan-state-mass-shooting-thousands-gather-rock-mourn-victims-red-cedar/69908840007/
4. “Officials: One MSU shooting victim now in stable condition” FOX 17 West Michigan News, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.fox17online.com/news/msu-shooting/investigation-student-condition-updates-expected-from-msu
5. “Mich. State University Mass Shooting: Remembering the Victims” PEOPLE, 15 Feb. 2023, https://people.com/crime/michigan-state-mass-shooting-remembering-victims/
6. “Michigan State gunman had 2 legally bought handguns and loaded magazines when he fatally shot himself in front of police, law enforcement says” CNN, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/us/michigan-state-university-mass-shooting-thursday/index.html
7. “Michigan State victims hospitalized after shooting showing signs of improvement” FOX 2 Detroit, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/michigan-state-victims-hospitalized-after-shooting-showing-signs-of-improvement
8. “Michigan State shooting update: State reps honor law enforcement” Bridge Michigan, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/michigan-state-shooting-update-berkey-hall-stay-closed-all-semester-guns-legally
9. “2 shot, injured at Michigan State were Chinese students, reports say” Detroit Free Press, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/16/michigan-state-injured-victims-chinese-students/69909699007/