Survival Seeds For Patriots: The Essential Guide to Growing Your Own Food
Growing your own food is the ultimate survival skill. It can help you be self-sufficient and prepared for any situation. The U.S. Department of Defense even has an program called “The Patriot Garden” dedicated to helping people grow their own food in times of emergency or crisis. But what kind of seeds should you use? This guide will help you choose the best Survival Seeds for Patriots.
What are Heirloom, Non-GMO Seeds?
Heirloom, non-GMO seeds are the most popular type of seed for growing food. These seeds are open pollinated, meaning they have been selected over generations for certain traits and characteristics. They are also more resistant to pests and diseases, making them perfect for growing in harsh conditions. Plus, they can be harvested and replanted year after year, allowing you to save money on future harvests.
Non-GMO seeds are different from Hybrid seeds. Hybrid seeds are produced through cross-breeding two plants with desirable traits. While this may produce a higher yield, it can be unpredictable and some hybrids don’t reproduce true-to-type after the first generation. For a dependable and reliable harvest, heirloom non-GMO seeds are the best choice.
Where to Buy Heirloom, Non-GMO Seeds
Finding good quality heirloom, non-GMO seeds can be a challenge. Many stores sell generic hybrid or genetically modified (GMO) seeds. Even if a package says it is “organic” or “natural,” it doesn't necessarily mean it's non-GMO. It’s important to do your research before buying. Here are a few tips for finding the right seeds.
- Check the label: Look for words like “heirloom” or “open-pollinated”. Avoid anything labelled “hybrid” or “GMO”.
- Buy from reputable sources: Purchase from a reputable seed supplier that specializes in heirloom, non-GMO varieties. Don’t buy from big box stores which often carry generic, hybridized varieties.
- Read online reviews: Read reviews from other gardeners who have purchased the same variety of seed. Make sure the seller has a good reputation.
Once you’ve found a trusted source for heirloom, non-GMO seeds, it’s time to start planting!
Choosing the Right Survival Seeds
When choosing survival seeds, there are a few things to consider. You want to pick varieties that are easy to grow, tolerant of extreme temperatures, and able to provide a long-term, sustainable harvest. Here are some of the best survival seed varieties.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are one of the easiest vegetables to grow and offer a great source of nutrition. Varieties like ‘Brandywine' or ‘Cherokee Purple' are heirloom, open-pollinated, and non-GMO.
- Peppers: Peppers come in a wide range of flavors and sizes, and are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Varieties like ‘Hungarian Hot Wax' and ‘Jalapeno' are heat-tolerant and disease resistant.
- Beans: Beans are a nutritional powerhouse and can be eaten fresh or dried for storage. Varieties like ‘Rattlesnake', ‘Anasazi', and ‘Tongue of Fire' are heirloom, open-pollinated, and non-GMO.
- Squash: Squash are easy to grow and can be stored for months in cool, dry conditions. Varieties like ‘Delicata', ‘Acorn', and ‘Butternut' are all heirloom, open-pollinated, and non-GMO.
- Corn: Corn is an essential crop for many cultures around the world. Varieties like ‘Country Gentleman' and ‘Golden Bantam' are heirloom, open-pollinated, and non-GMO.
These are just a few examples of the many varieties of heirloom, non-GMO seeds available. There are many more to choose from, so you can find the perfect fit for your garden!
Storing Your Seeds for Forebears
Once you have chosen your survival seeds, it’s important to store them properly. Store your seeds in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight. In addition, make sure they are in an airtight container to keep out moisture. With the proper care and storage, your seeds can last up to five years or longer.
By storing your survival seeds correctly, you are ensuring that future generations will have access to the same varieties you enjoyed. This is known as “seed saving” and is an important part of preserving our agricultural heritage. So don't forget to share your seeds with friends and family!
Growing your own food with Survival Seeds for Patriots is the perfect way to become more self-reliant and prepared for any situation. By using heirloom, non-GMO varieties you can ensure that your harvest will be safe, healthy, and full of nutrients. And by storing your seeds properly, you can ensure that future generations will have access to these valuable resources.