Senator Bernie Sanders: Taking a Stand Against Prescription Drug Prices and Capitalism
Memes are familiar to US Senator Bernie Sanders. When a photograph of a Democratic politician wearing mittens at President Joe Biden's inauguration went viral, he became the first meme of 2021. Since then, Sanders has once again found himself in viral online content when he appeared to photobomb a TikTok user’s dance video in Manhattan. Recently, an independent senator asked Stéphane Bancel, CEO of Moderna, to appear before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, which is chaired by the senator.
Sanders is now embracing his anger and calling out the pharmaceutical industry for its greed and high prescription drug prices. He is emphasizing the need for bipartisan efforts to bring down costs for working-class Americans and has proposed the Inflation Reduction Act as a potential avenue for legislative work. He cited polling that showed high prescription drug costs were a major concern for Republicans, and noted the U.S. government gave Moderna billions of dollars to develop its vaccine.
Sanders is also promoting his latest book ‘It’s OK to Be Angry About Capitalism'. He will be discussing the book and will be joined by journalist and author John Nichols who contributed to the book. Senator Sanders' only in-person appearance in Northern California to promote his new book will be at the Kepler's event.
Sanders has long spoken out against the need for structural change in the U.S. He was bitterly disappointed with the failure of the Build Back Better legislation, which he said would have been transformative for working families. He also bristled when social justice activists insisted the Democrats use the phrase “Black Lives Matter”, noting “What are we going to do about 51 percent of young African Americans unemployed?”
Sanders answered affirmatively when asked if he foresaw any opportunities for bipartisan collaboration on prescription drug costs in Congress, saying, “Yes, I do.” In 2016, he won a landslide victory in West Virginia, showing that even in a conservative state, his message resonates with voters.
Sanders is a steadfast advocate for the working class and a vocal opponent of the pharmaceutical industry. With his latest book, he is encouraging people to embrace their anger and to push for structural change in the U.S. to ensure that all Americans have access to affordable healthcare and other basic needs.
0. “Bernie Sanders accidentally walks into TikTok: ‘Most relatable politician’” The Independent, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bernie-sanders-tiktok-nyc-video-b2286615.html
1. “Video of Bernie Sanders Photobombing TikTok Dance Goes Viral” Newsweek, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/video-bernie-sanders-photobombing-tiktok-dance-goes-viral-1782737
2. “Bernie Sanders walks unbothered through TikToker's dance” Insider, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.insider.com/bernie-sanders-walks-unbothered-through-tiktokers-dance-tiktok-2023-2
3. “Sanders targets pharma companies over vaccine price hikes, high drug costs” WSGW, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.wsgw.com/sanders-targets-pharma-companies-over-vaccine-price-hikes-high-drug-costs/
4. “MEDIA ALERT: Kepler's to Present Senator Bernie Sanders Discussing His New Book, “It's OK to Be Angry About” EIN News, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/616309524/media-alert-kepler-s-to-present-senator-bernie-sanders-discussing-his-new-book-it-s-ok-to-be-angry-about-capitalism-at-the-san-jose-center-for
5. “Kepler's presents Senator Bernie Sanders in conversation with John Nichols” InMenlo, 20 Feb. 2023, https://inmenlo.com/2023/02/19/keplers-presents-senator-bernie-sanders-in-conversation-with-john-nichols/
6. “Bernie Sanders calls for bipartisan action to address high p…” MENAFN.COM, 20 Feb. 2023, https://menafn.com/1105600478/Bernie-Sanders-calls-for-bipartisan-action-to-address-high-prescription-drug-prices
7. “Sen. Bernie Sanders is embracing his anger. New book details what he's angry about” Iowa Public Radio, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.iowapublicradio.org/2023-02-21/sen-bernie-sanders-is-embracing-his-anger-new-book-details-what-hes-angry-about
8. “Bernie Sanders accidentally stumbles into TikTok video and appears to get rather annoyed” Daily Mail, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11775923/Bernie-Sanders-accidentally-stumbles-TikTok-video-appears-annoyed.html