Russia Prepares for Major Offensive in Ukraine: Biden Administration Sends 31 M1 Abrams Tanks
It has been almost a year since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began, and now there are growing signs that the Kremlin is preparing for another major offensive. Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov has confirmed that there are Russian forces gathering strength on three fronts, through Donetsk, Luhansk and on the southern flank in Zaporizhzhia, with the goal of taking control of the entire Donbas region this spring. The U.S. Institute for the Study of War has reported that the Russian offensive has now begun in Luhansk, and the Ukraine Air Force has reported up to 35 S-300 anti-aircraft guided missiles launched on the Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia provinces.
Current estimates of Russian troops fighting in Ukraine are around 326,000, but Ukrainian military intelligence spokesperson Vadym Skibitsky has estimated that Russia is likely to mobilize another 300,000 to 500,000 troops. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has stated that they will not give up on the embattled city of Bakhmut, which has been the focus of intense fighting, and NATO-supplied heavy armor is essential for a Ukrainian counter-offensive.
In response to the looming offensive, the Biden administration has announced that the U.S. will send 31 M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine, but it is expected to take months for them to arrive on the battlefield and for Ukrainian crews to complete necessary training. It is essential that we not only maintain our combat supplies to Ukraine, but step it up even further and even faster, as President Zelenskyy is determined to resist any Russian advances.
0. “Moscow planning offensive on three fronts to secure Donbas and Crimea military corridor” EL PAÍS USA, 7 Feb. 2023, https://english.elpais.com/international/2023-02-07/moscow-planning-offensive-on-three-fronts-to-secure-donbas-and-crimea-military-corridor.html
1. “Russia's new offensive has already started: President's adviser” TVP World, 9 Feb. 2023, https://tvpworld.com/66207213/russias-new-offensive-has-already-started-presidents-adviser
2. “Renewed Kremlin offensive is underway and intensifying” The Ukrainian Weekly, 10 Feb. 2023, https://subscription.ukrweekly.com/2023/02/renewed-kremlin-offensive-is-underway-and-intensifying/
3. “Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 346” Al Jazeera English, 4 Feb. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/4/russia-ukraine-war-list-of-key-events-day-346
4. “Russian and Ukrainian forces dig into position for war’s next phase” The Washington Post, 9 Feb. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/09/russia-ukraine-battlefield-positions-war/
5. “Vladimir Putin is about to make shock gains” The Telegraph, 7 Feb. 2023, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/07/vladimir-putin-make-shock-gains