Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) Caught in Numerous Lies and False Claims
Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) has been caught in numerous lies and falsified his personal history and resume, casting a harsh spotlight on a powerful Republican who endorsed and raised money for him. On Tuesday, Santos’ political operation filed a flurry of amended campaign finance reports, telling the feds, among other things, that a $500,000 loan he gave to his campaign didn’t, in fact, come from his personal funds as he’d previously claimed.
An investigation by Mother Jones revealed that the 2020 Santos campaign has received more than a dozen major donations for which the identity or the location of the donor is not able to be verified. Media reports have not yet acknowledged the more than $30,000 worth of questionable donations that the Santos campaign received from individual donors in 2020, out of the total of $338,000.
Thomas Datwyler was identified on an electronic line intended for the treasurer’s signature. However, his attorney, Ross, told The Daily Beast that “it appears there’s a disconnect between that conversation and the filings today, which we did not authorize.”
The Justice Department has reportedly asked the Federal Elections Commission to hold off on any enforcement action against Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., amid a dual investigation by federal prosecutors into his campaign. The Washington Post was informed by David M. Mason, a former Federal Election Commission (FEC) commissioner, that the FEC does not wish for two sets of investigators to be overlapping and potentially complicating any criminal case by their civil operations.
Despite calls from some Republicans, including representatives from New York, for him to resign from Congress, Santos has refused to do so. McCarthy has decided not to intervene in Santos' case, instead asserting that the people of his district will decide his fate in Congress.
The Federal Election Commission (FEC) requested additional data concerning the contested filing on Thursday. The Federal Election Commission has noticed that the treasurer information provided by Datwyler may not be accurate, correct, or complete, and has sent a letter asking for further information. The request also asked that the FEC provide any relevant documents to the Justice Department.
The latest political mysteries come from the Long Island fabulist, as part of an apparently never-ending chain of donations.
0. “Will supporting Santos land Stefanik in the doghouse with donors?” WCAX, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.wcax.com/2023/01/27/will-supporting-santos-land-stefanik-doghouse-with-donors/
1. “George Santos Fraudulent Signature Could Be Final Nail in Coffin” Newsweek, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/george-santos-fraudulent-signature-could-final-nail-coffin-1776750
2. “DOJ Moves on Gay U.S. Rep. George Santos, Asks FEC to Step Aside” Advocate.com, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.advocate.com/politics/george-santos-doj-fec
3. “George Santos' Campaign Might Face a New Criminal Probe” The Daily Beast, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.thedailybeast.com/george-santos-campaign-might-face-a-new-criminal-probe
4. “Some of George Santos' 2020 campaign donors may not exist: report” Business Insider, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/george-santos-campaign-list-donors-who-may-not-exist-report-2023-1
5. “FEC asked to hold off on George Santos probe amid separate DOJ investigation: report” Fox News, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fec-asked-hold-george-santos-probe-separate-doj-investigation
6. “House Democrats want to deny George Santos access to classified information” CBS News, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-santos-classified-information-house-democrats-gregory-meeks-joseph-morelle/
7. “Justice Department asks FEC to stand down as prosecutors probe Santos” The Washington Post, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/01/27/santos-doj-investigation-fec/
8. “FEC presses George Santos campaign after it lists treasurer who denies taking the job” CNBC, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/27/elections-agency-presses-george-santos-campaign-on-treasurer-claim.html
9. “We Tried to Call the Top Donors to George Santos' 2020 Campaign. Many Don't Seem to Exist. – Mother Jones” Mother Jones, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/01/we-tried-to-call-the-top-donors-to-george-santos-2020-campaign-many-dont-seem-to-exist