Remembering the Legacy of President Jimmy Carter: Prayers for the Carter Family
Former US President Jimmy Carter is receiving hospice care at home, the Carter Center announced on Saturday. The decision was made after a series of short hospital stays, the center said in a statement.
Jason Carter, the couple's grandson who now chairs The Carter Center governing board, said Saturday in a tweet that he “saw both of my grandparents yesterday. They are at peace and—as always—their home is full of love”.
At 98 years old, Carter is the longest-living former president in American history, having held office from 1977 to 1981 as a Democrat. The Carter Center, set up by the 39th president and former first lady following their tenure at the White House, celebrated its 40th anniversary last year. It has been dedicated to promoting democracy and conflict resolution, overseeing elections, and improving public health in the developing world.
When Carter began his campaign for the presidency in the lead up to the 1976 election, he was a relatively unknown Georgia governor. In 1976, he triumphed over incumbent President Gerald R. Ford, taking advantage of his outsider status in the aftermath of the Vietnam War and Watergate scandal, which had forced Richard Nixon to resign in 1974.
In August of 2015, a small cancerous mass was taken out of Carter's liver. In the year after, Carter declared that he no longer required any more treatment as a trial drug had eradicated all symptoms of cancer.
One of the most noteworthy accomplishments of his presidency was the Camp David Accords, which were brokered in 1978 by President Carter between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. In 2002, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in honor of his relentless endeavors to bring about peaceful resolutions to international disputes, to bolster democracy and human rights, and to advance economic and social progress.
In 2015, he declared that he was “perfectly at ease with whatever comes.” My life has been exhilarating, daring and rewarding.
As we remember the legacy of President Jimmy Carter, we are reminded of his dedication to service and his promise to not deceive the American people. His foreign policy wins, including brokering Mideast peace and his domestic accomplishments, such as partially deregulating the airline and railroad industries, have left a lasting impact on our nation. We send our thoughts and prayers to the Carter family in this difficult time.
0. “Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter in Hospice Care” Rolling Stone, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/jimmy-carter-former-u-s-president-hospice-care-1234682722/
1. “Jimmy Carter Receiving Hospice Care at Home Instead of Additional Medical Intervention, Carter Center Says” Entertainment Tonight, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.etonline.com/jimmy-carter-receiving-hospice-care-at-home-instead-of-additional-medical-intervention-carter
2. “Former president Jimmy Carter opts for home hospice care for final days” The Washington Post, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/02/18/jimmy-carter-hospice-care/
3. “Jimmy Carter, 98, opts for hospice care after string of hospital visits” The Guardian US, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/18/jimmy-carter-hospice-care-health
4. “Jimmy Carter to receive hospice care at home following series of hospital stays” 4029tv, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.4029tv.com/article/jimmy-carter-to-receive-hospice-care-at-home-following-series-of-hospital-stays/42968892
5. “Jimmy Carter to receive hospice care following hospitalizations: Carter Center” ABC News, 18 Feb. 2023, https://abcnews.go.com/US/jimmy-carter-receive-hospice-care-hospitalizations-carter-center/story?id=97312351
6. “Jimmy Carter to begin receiving hospice care | News | wtva.com” WTVA, 18 Feb. 2023, https://www.wtva.com/news/jimmy-carter-to-begin-receiving-hospice-care/article_4e9fb4cd-3125-595d-a47b-7c6552efceef.html
7. “Former US President Jimmy Carter begins hospice care at home” Al Jazeera English, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/19/former-us-president-jimmy-carter-enters-hospice-care-at-home
8. “Georgia leaders react to President Jimmy Carter's hospice announcement” FOX 5 Atlanta, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/jimmy-carter-georgia-leaders-reaction