On Monday, four men were arrested in connection with the rape and subsequent death of Louisiana Stat…
On Monday, four men were arrested in connection with the rape and subsequent death of Louisiana State University student Madison Brooks. Kaivon Deondre Washington, 18, and an unnamed 17-year-old were charged with third-degree rape, while Casen Carver, 18, and Everett Lee, 28, were charged with principle to third-degree rape.
In response to the tragedy, the Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control issued an emergency suspension of the service or sale of alcoholic beverages at the bar where the underage suspects were allegedly able to consume alcohol, and an emergency hearing has been scheduled for next month to determine if any penalties should be imposed.
LSU President William Tate released a statement saying, “Madison was a daughter, a granddaughter, a sister, a niece, a classmate, and a friend to many of you. By all accounts, she was an amazing young woman with limitless potential. She should not have been taken from us in this way. What happened to her was evil, and our legal system will parcel out justice.” President Tate also announced plans to meet with business owners to discuss how their responsibilities directly impact the safety of our students and to work openly against any business that doesn’t join them in efforts toward creating a safer environment for our students.
Carver reportedly told investigators that Brooks “gave verbal consent” to sex with Washington and the 17-year-old. Carver reportedly responded with “I guess,” when asked if Brooks was too inebriated to give consent, as per the affidavits.
The tragedy of Madison Brook’s death has sparked outrage and calls for action. It is impossible to adequately express our shared sorrow and indignation. Now is the time to take action. We should focus our attention back on the spot where this encounter started.
0. “LSU student was raped before she was hit by a car and killed, deputies say; 4 arrested” The Advocate, 23 Jan. 2023, https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/crime_police/lsu-student-was-raped-before-she-was-fatally-hit-by-car/article_88aa7c2a-9b6e-11ed-b76c-c399f7caafa1.html
1. “LSU Student Was Allegedly Raped Before She Was Fatally Struck by Car, 4 Men Arrested: Police” PEOPLE, 24 Jan. 2023, https://people.com/crime/madison-brooks-lsu-student-allegedly-raped-fatally-struck-by-car/
2. “4 arrested in alleged rape of college student later fatally struck by car: Police” WABC-TV, 25 Jan. 2023, https://abc7ny.com/4-arrested-in-alleged-rape-of-college-student-later-fatally-struck-/12733815/
3. “4 arrested for involvement of the case of LSU student who was hit by a car and killed” WDSU New Orleans, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.wdsu.com/article/4-arrested-involvement-case-lsu-student-hit-by-car-killed/42626608
4. “4 people arrested in alleged rape of LSU student who died after she was hit by car” NBC News, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/4-people-arrested-alleged-rape-lsu-student-died-was-hit-car-rcna67181
5. “Bar shut down, anger at LSU: Madison Brooks' death has ripple effects on campus and beyond” The Advocate, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/crime_police/madison-brooks-rape-and-death-has-ripple-effects-beyond-lsu/article_38ed4082-9c2c-11ed-8f1e-af744b2741cf.html
6. “LSU sophomore had been raped by two men before car hit and killed her, officials say” Biloxi Sun Herald, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article271573162.html
7. “LSU president wants action on underage drinking after student fatality” Greater Baton Rouge Business Report, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.businessreport.com/business/lsu-president-calls-for-action-on-underage-drinking-after-student-fatality