Multiple-Car Pileup on I-39/90 in Rock County Causes Road Closures, Injuries
On Friday afternoon, Interstate 94 near County Highway ML in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, experienced a multiple-car pileup, resulting in the road being closed south of the Illinois border. All lanes of Interstate 39/90 in Rock County were closed Friday afternoon between Janesville and Beloit due to a crash involving up to 50 cars, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Traffic was diverted off Interstate 94 at both Route 173 and Russell Road, according to Illinois State Police.
The incident occurred during a severe winter weather event with snow, ice and whiteout conditions believed to be a factor in the initial incident. Beloit Memorial Hospital officials told 27 News' Rockford affiliate that 27 patients from the crash are in their care, with reported head, neck and shoulder pain. Traffic heading south is being rerouted at Avalon Rd., and traffic going north is being rerouted at Shopiere Rd.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office on Facebook asked drivers to avoid the area as personnel are “currently handling several multiple-vehicle accidents and subsequent pileups.” Don Driscoll, with Beloit Transit, confirmed to 27 News that a bus was sent to help assist in the crash. According to the Rockford affiliate of 27 News, 21 individuals utilized the bus to go to Beloit Memorial Hospital in order to find refuge from the cold weather. Nobody on the bus sustained any injuries from the crash.
Wisconsin State Patrol reports that 85 vehicles were involved in the crash, which closed I-39/90 between Beloit and Janesville for over eight hours. At least one injury has been reported in the incident, and 21 people were taken to area hospitals to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries. The lanes going south were opened back up at around 8 p.m Friday, and the northbound lanes reopened about 45 minutes later.
State Patrol and other agencies are currently aiding those involved in the crash, investigating the incident, and working to open the road. As a result, travelers are urged to stay away from the area. Motorists traveling north should get off at exit 183 then go south to HWY BT, west to HWY G, north to HWY 11 then east back to I-39/90. This is a developing story, and updates will be provided as they become available.
0. “RAW: WI: PILEUP SHUTS DOWN WI INTERSTATE | National News | crossroadstoday.com” Crossroads Today, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.crossroadstoday.com/news/national-news/raw-wi-pileup-shuts-down-wi-interstate/video_0814c330-296e-557f-9441-0e3b8190a995.html
1. “Wisconsin Pileup Closes Interstate Between Janesville And Beloit | Weather.com” The Weather Channel, 27 Jan. 2023, https://weather.com/news/news/2023-01-27-wisconsin-pileup-janesville-i39-i90-rock-county
2. “Multi-vehicle crash in Rock County leaves 1 dead and 21 injured” WDJT, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.cbs58.com/news/multi-vehicle-crash-in-rock-county-leaves-1-dead-and-21-injured
3. “1 hurt in crash on I-39/90 near Beloit where ‘up to 50 cars' are involved” WKOW, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.wkow.com/news/up-to-50-cars-involved-in-crash-on-i-39-near-beloit/article_572f57bc-9e73-11ed-872f-07ff5191d080.html
4. “Beloit Memorial Hospital treating patients from I-39/90 crash” WAOW, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.waow.com/news/wisconsin/beloit-memorial-hospital-treating-patients-from-i-39-90-crash/article_89661b75-db1d-5868-9e8d-c5d67660114d.html
5. “21 injured after string of crashes on I-39/90 between Janesville and Beloit” WMTV – NBC15, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.nbc15.com/2023/01/27/stretch-i-3990-closed-between-janesville-beloit/
6. “27 People Injured in One of Multiple Pileups Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border: Authorities” NBC Chicago, 28 Jan. 2023, https://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/pileups-1-involving-up-to-70-cars-near-illinois-wisconsin-border-shut-down-major-roadways/3057005/
7. “LIVE UPDATES: Crash on I-39/90 near Beloit | News | wrex.com” WREX.com, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.wrex.com/news/live-updates-crash-on-i-39-90-near-beloit/article_478fcfcc-9e7c-11ed-936b-d7824479d756.html