MSC to Open with Ukrainian President Zelenskyy, Focus on Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine and Growing US-China Tensions
The Munich Security Conference (MSC) is set to welcome Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as its opening speaker on Friday, as the West faces urgent calls to speed up ammunition production and supplies to Kyiv in the face of mounting fears that Russia is planning a new offensive.
The conference, widely regarded as the most important meeting of politicians and experts on security policy worldwide, will host more than 40 heads of state and 90 ministers from across the world, including U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD), and Polish President Andrzej Duda.
The report suggests that the conversations at the conference will focus on what laid the groundwork for Russia's invasion of Ukraine, why many states outside the rich and Eurocentric spheres are hesitant to support Ukraine and condemn Russia, and what lessons apply to growing tensions between the United States and China in the Indo-Pacific region.
The war in Ukraine will be the focal point in Munich as Russia’s grisly aggression approaches its first anniversary. Western nations can take pride in their surprisingly robust response to the invasion, while Ukrainians can be even prouder of their extraordinary bravery and ability to absorb advanced Western military technology. However, Ukraine’s chances of expelling Russia from every acre of occupied territory remain uncertain at best, while the price the war is exacting on combatants and the global economy is huge and growing.
More than 1,000 journalists will be covering the event, which will run from February 17-19. It is sure to be a crucial event in assessing the security situation of Ukraine and the wider world.
0. “Zelenskiy to open Munich summit amid fears of new Russian offensive” The Guardian, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/17/zelenskiy-ukraine-munich-summit-russian-offensive
1. “Munich Security Conference Excludes AfD, Includes CCP The European Conservative” The European Conservative, 17 Feb. 2023, https://europeanconservative.com/articles/news/munich-security-conference-excludes-afd-includes-ccp
2. “War in Europe is top priority at Munich Security Conference” GZERO Media, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.gzeromedia.com/in-60-seconds/world/war-in-europe-is-top-priority-at-munich-security-conference
3. “Munich Security Conference Loses Value as a Venue for Dialogue Among Foes • Stimson Center” Stimson Center, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.stimson.org/2023/munich-security-conference-loses-value-as-a-venue-for-dialogue-among-foes
4. “Without Russia, German right-wingers: 150 politicians to attend MSC” Ukrinform, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-polytics/3669425-without-russia-german-rightwingers-150-politicians-to-attend-msc.html