Mike Pence Subpoenaed in Jan. 6 Investigation and FBI Search of Indiana Home
Former Vice President Mike Pence has been subpoenaed by the special counsel appointed by Attorney General Merrick Garland in November to investigate former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election and his role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, according to a source familiar with the matter. The source revealed that the subpoena is connected to the inquiry concerning the events of Jan. 6.
The FBI is conducting a search of Pence’s Indiana home to look for additional documents with classified document markings. Last month, an aide discovered roughly a dozen classified documents at the Indiana residence of the former vice president, prompting a search. It has been said that, with Vice President Pence's full consent, a search will take place on Friday. This follows conversations that his staff has had with the Department of Justice.
It was over two weeks ago that the attorney for Vice President Pence informed the National Archives and Records Administration that a “small number” of documents bearing classified markings were located at his residence. Matt Morgan, who is experienced in dealing with classified material, was directed by Pence to conduct the search.
The search followed the voluntary search of President Joe Biden’s former office in November; his home in Wilmington, Delaware, in December; and his Rehoboth Beach house; and the seizure of more than 100 classified documents at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate during the execution of a search warrant in August.
According to a spokesperson, Vice President Pence is currently on the West Coast with his family due to the recent birth of his daughter's baby. A spokesperson stated that a private attorney representing Pence is present at the Indiana house while the search is being conducted.
The FBI search of Pence's residence follows a search of Biden's home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on 1 February. Biden's team discovered classified documents at his Washington, DC, think tank office in November. Upon Biden's notification, the National Archives contacted the Department of Justice (DOJ); however, the revelation was not revealed to the public for several weeks. Items were also uncovered at Biden's house in Wilmington, Delaware. The FBI conducted a search of former Vice President Joe Biden's home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware on Wednesday, but did not uncover any further classified documents.
The Justice Department completed a five-hour search of Pence’s residence and removed one document with classified markings and six additional pages without such markings that were not discovered in the initial review by the vice president's counsel, according to Pence adviser Devin O'Malley.
0. “What the subpoena of former Vice President Mike Pence by the special counsel investigating Trump could mean” CBS News, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/video/how-significant-is-the-subpoena-for-former-vice-president-mike-pence/
1. “Pence subpoenaed by special counsel investigating Trump's role in Jan. 6” NBC News, 9 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/pence-subpoenaed-special-counsel-leading-trump-investigations-rcna70031
2. “FBI conducting search of former Vice President Mike Pence Indiana home” WPVI-TV, 10 Feb. 2023, https://6abc.com/mike-pence-indiana-home-news-house-vice-president/12796227
3. “FBI Finds More Classified Material in Pence’s Home” Rolling Stone, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mike-pence-home-searched-fbi-classified-docs-1234677464/
4. “FBI search of Pence's Indiana home yields 1 more classified document” USA TODAY, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/10/mike-pence-fbi-search-classified-records/11197046002
5. “Pence FBI search lasted 5 hours, recovered one additional classified doc” Fox News, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pence-fbi-search-lasted-5-hours-recovered-one-additional-classified-doc
6. “FBI searches Mike Pence's Indiana home for more classified documents” BBC, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64499785
7. “FBI removes one document marked classified from former Vice President Mike Pence's home” CNN, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/10/politics/mike-pence-house-fbi-search/index.html