Mike Pence Condemns Trump’s Role in Capitol Attack and Criticizes Media Attempts to Sanitize it
Former Vice President Mike Pence made his most forceful comments yet about former President Donald Trump’s role in the January 6th attack on the US Capitol during remarks Saturday evening at the annual Gridiron Club Dinner in Washington, DC.
“President Trump was wrong,” Pence said. “I had no right to overturn the election, and his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day. And I know that history will hold Donald Trump accountable for his actions.”
During the siege, President Trump posted multiple tweets, including one in which he asked Republicans to “fight” and others with unfounded allegations of electoral fraud. He furthermore took issue with Pence for authenticating the outcomes.
Pence's relationship with Trump has been complex since the two left office, but the former vice president's comments on Saturday indicate he is willing to more forcefully distance himself from Trump as the 2024 campaign heats up – even if that means alienating the millions of Republican voters still loyal to the former president.
“We were able to stay at our post, in part, because you stayed at your post. The American people know what happened that day because you never stopped reporting,” Pence said, addressing an audience of politicians and journalists.
Jokingly, he remarked, “Honestly, I learned a lot working beside Donald Trump, such as knowledge about subpoenas.”
Last week, attorneys for Pence submitted a motion to a judge requesting that the subpoena for Pence's testimony regarding the events of January 6th be quashed. Following this, comments were made. Vice President Pence declared that he would not comply with the subpoena, claiming it was “unconstitutional and unprecedented.”
He exclaimed that what had occurred that day was a disgrace. I will never, ever belittle the harm done, the lives taken, or the courage of the police force that was present on that fateful day, and to paint it any other way is an insult to decency. As long as I live, this shall remain true.
He also criticized right-wing media personalities who have sought to sanitize the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack. This week, Fox News media personality Tucker Carlson broadcasted a contentious report about the Jan. 6 incident, featuring video supplied solely by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.
0. “Pence says ‘history will hold Donald Trump accountable' for Jan. 6th” The Washington Post, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/03/11/pence-says-history-will-hold-donald-trump-accountable-jan-6th/
1. “Pence says “history will hold Donald Trump accountable” for January 6th – KION546″ KION, 12 Mar. 2023, https://kion546.com/news/2023/03/11/pence-says-history-will-hold-donald-trump-accountable-for-january-6th
2. “Pence Slams Trump Over Jan. 6 Attack as He Weighs 2024 Bid” Bloomberg, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-12/pence-slams-trump-over-jan-6-attack-as-he-weighs-2024-bid
3. “‘History will hold Donald Trump accountable' for January 6, Pence says” News24, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.news24.com/news24/world/news/history-will-hold-donald-trump-accountable-for-january-6-pence-says-20230312
4. “‘History will hold Donald Trump accountable' for US Capitol attack, says Pence” CNA, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/history-hold-trump-accountable-jan-6-capitol-riot-mike-pence-3341476
5. “‘History will hold Trump accountable’ for Capitol attack: Pence” Al Jazeera English, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/12/pence-says-history-will-hold-trump-accountable-for-capitol-attack
6. “Pence says “history will hold” Trump “accountable” for his election denial” CBS News, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-pence-says-history-will-hold-donald-trump-accountable-election-denial/
7. “Pence says “history will hold” Trump “accountable” for his election denial” Sand Hills Express, 12 Mar. 2023, https://sandhillsexpress.com/cbs_politics/pence-says-history-will-hold-trump-accountable-for-his-election-denial-cbsid311684ec