Letecia Stauch’s Trial for Murdering Stepson Gannon Stauch Begins in Colorado Courthouse
The trial for Letecia Stauch, who is accused of murdering her 11-year-old stepson Gannon Stauch, began on April 3, 2023, at the El Paso County Courthouse in Colorado. Stauch was arrested in early March 2020 for Gannon's death, and his remains were found stuffed in a suitcase under a bridge in Florida later that month. Based on the results of the autopsy, it was discovered that he had suffered gunshot wounds, stab wounds, and a fracture to his skull. Stauch faces a total of 13 charges, including first-degree murder, child abuse causing death, and tampering with evidence.
The trial is expected to last at least six weeks, and witnesses began taking the stand on Tuesday. Gannon's father, Al Stauch, testified for the second time on the third day of the trial. During her testimony in the morning, Letecia Stauch kept her head down and her face hidden behind her hair. Stauch has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, claiming she suffered a “major psychotic crack” as a result of childhood trauma when she killed Gannon. Her legal team points to a traumatic childhood with years of sexual and mental abuse.
However, prosecutors in Colorado say Stauch stabbed Gannon 18 times and then shot him in the head before driving across the country to dump a suitcase with his remains inside over the side of a bridge in Pensacola. They say she then tossed the suitcase over a bridge, and a bridge worker found the suitcase with Gannon’s body still inside about six weeks later. In an FBI-recorded phone call played in court, Al Stauch asked Letecia if she had killed Gannon, to which she did not respond.
Throughout the investigation, Letecia gave multiple conflicting accounts of Gannon's disappearance, including blaming it on a man who was hiding in the Stauch's home and kidnapped Gannon. She also claimed two different men had raped her and then abducted Gannon, and later that one of those men had taken Gannon after he hurt himself in a bike crash. However, investigators obtained video surveillance from neighbors, which they said showed a person believed to be Letecia and a second person, who appeared to match Gannon's physical description, leaving the family's home in her husband's car on the day Gannon disappeared.
0. “Trial begins for Leticia Stauch” KKCO, 4 Apr. 2023, https://www.nbc11news.com/2023/04/04/trial-begins-leticia-stauch/
1. “Gannon's father resumed testimony in the murder trial of his ex-wife, saying she was 100% sane” KOAA News 5, 6 Apr. 2023, https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-colorado/gannons-father-resumes-testimony-in-the-murder-trial-of-his-ex-wife
2. “Leticia Stauch trial enters day 3” KRDO, 5 Apr. 2023, https://krdo.com/top-stories/2023/04/05/leticia-stauch-trial-enters-day-3/
3. “Letecia Stauch trial: Opening statements for woman accused of killing her stepson Gannon” 9News.com KUSA, 3 Apr. 2023, https://www.9news.com/article/news/investigations/gannon-stauch/gannon-stauch-letecia-stauch-trial-start-opening-statements/73-2b9993fe-5274-4c9f-aeef-2a4a25458d50
4. “Testimony continues for Gannon's father in third day of Letecia Stauch murder trial” CBS Colardo, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/testimony-continues-gannons-father-third-day-letecia-stauch-murder-trial/
5. “Gannon's father testifies for prosecution against his ex, Letecia Stauch” Denver 7 Colorado News, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.denver7.com/news/local-news/gannons-father-testifies-for-prosecution-against-his-ex-letecia-stauch
6. “Stepmother of murdered Gannon Staunch suffered ‘psychotic crack'” Daily Mail, 4 Apr. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11939219/Stepmother-murdered-Gannon-Staunch-suffered-psychotic-crack.html
7. “A boy was found murdered in a suitcase. His stepmom blamed psychosis” The Independent, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/letecia-stauch-trial-gannon-murder-b2314886.html
8. “Recorded phone calls between Letecia Stauch and Gannon's father played in court” Court TV, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.courttv.com/news/recorded-phone-calls-between-letecia-stauch-and-gannons-father-played-in-court/
9. “CO v. Letecia Stauch: Daily Trial Updates” Court TV, 29 Mar. 2023, https://www.courttv.com/news/co-v-letecia-staunch-stepmother-charged-with-murder/