Jury Visits Colleton County Estate in Alex Murdaugh Murder Trial
On Wednesday, the jury in the murder trial of Alex Murdaugh visited the family's 1,770-acre Colleton County estate, Moselle, to view the scene of the crime. Murdaugh is accused of killing his wife, 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh, and youngest son, 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh, on June 7, 2021. If found guilty, he could be sentenced to 30 years to life in prison.
The twelve jurors and two remaining alternates met at the Colleton County Courthouse at 9 a.m. and boarded three transport vans with windows blocked up to keep anyone from looking in. At approximately 9:10 a.m., buses departed from the courthouse en route to the Moselle Road property.
The jurors had 30 minutes to view the property and were expected to spend the bulk of their time at the kennels and shed where Maggie and Paul Murdaugh were fatally shot. Towards the end of the visit, they were also taken to the main house for a view of the exterior.
The trial has stretched on for six weeks and has seen 62 witnesses, some testifying twice, called by prosecutors. The defense put up 14 witnesses, including Murdaugh himself.
On the stand, Murdaugh denied pulling the trigger in the fatal shootings, but admitted to lying to authorities about the case. He said his opioid addiction made him paranoid and distrustful of law enforcement.
Prosecutors have attempted to establish that Murdaugh's voice is in the video taken by Paul at the kennels. Defense witness experts testified they believed Paul sustained a contact wound to the head, meaning the weapon was pressed against his head.
In their closing arguments, prosecutors asserted that there is only one person with the motive, the means and the opportunity to commit the crimes and whose “guilty conduct after these crimes betrays him.”
The rebuttal case included Ronnie Crosby, Murdaugh’s former law partner, as the first witness. He testified that state agents told him they had a shirt covered in blood that proved Murdaugh was the killer.
The trial is now in its closing stages and a verdict is expected soon.
0. “Alex Murdaugh jury visits dog kennels at Moselle murder scene” Fox News, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/us/alex-murdaugh-jury-visits-dog-kennels-moselle-murder-scene
1. “Alex Murdaugh murder trial: The defense presented an O.J. Simpson–style theory of an elusive mystery killer.” Slate, 27 Feb. 2023, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/02/murdaugh-murder-trial-defense-rests.html
2. “Murdaugh trial live stream, updates: State calling rebuttal witnesses” Greenville News, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/crime/2023/02/28/alex-murdaugh-trial-live-stream-updates-state-to-call-rebuttal-witnesses-sc/69952793007/
3. “Day 27: Murdaugh jury visiting Moselle property Wednesday morning” Live 5 News WCSC, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.live5news.com/2023/03/01/day-27-murdaugh-jury-visit-moselle-property-wednesday-morning/
4. “Alex Murdaugh Murder Trial: Live video, coverage of closing arguments” WJCL News Savannah, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.wjcl.com/article/murdaugh-trial-live-stream-24/43137473
5. “Alex Murdaugh's prosecutors push back on two-shooter theory in final day of testimony” Charleston Post Courier, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.postandcourier.com/murdaugh-updates/alex-murdaughs-prosecutors-push-back-on-two-shooter-theory-in-final-day-of-testimony/article_2514fdc6-b774-11ed-9db3-d3f6d72af1c0.html
6. “SC attorney general steps in to close out state’s murder case against Alex Murdaugh” The State, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article272622488.html
7. “Alex Murdaugh Takes The Stand At Murder Trial, Denies Shooting Wife and Son” TMZ, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.tmz.com/2023/02/23/alex-murdaugh-takes-stand-murder-trial-denies-shooting-wife-son/
8. “Alex Murdaugh murder trial: defendant testifies over son and wife killings” The Telegraph, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/23/alex-murdaugh-murder-trial-testimony-wife-son-death/
9. “Bubba, Buster, Paw-Paw – who's who in Murdaugh murder trial” Yahoo Life, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bubba-buster-paw-paw-whos-190010663.html
10. “Murdaugh Trial, Day 26: Testimony gets heated during state's rebuttal” Fox Carolina, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/03/01/murdaugh-trial-day-26-testimony-gets-heated-during-states-rebuttal
11. “LIVE: Prosecutor says Alex Murdaugh killed his wife while she was ‘running to her baby’ during closing statement in double murder trial – Day 25” Law & Crime, 1 Mar. 2023, https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-alex-murdaugh-double-murder-trial-day-25
12. “Prosecution in Alex Murdaugh trial rests its case after dramatic re-enactment” Fox News, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/us/alex-murdaugh-trial-prosecutors-recall-former-law-partner-rebuttal-case
13. “‘Very real to me’: Expert on Murdaugh’s brother’s testimony” NewsNation Now, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsnationnow.com/crime/murdaugh-murder-trial/expert-on-murdaugh-brothers-body-language