House Ethics Committee to Investigate Rep. George Santos for Alleged Unlawful Activity
The House Ethics Committee announced on Thursday that it will establish a subcommittee to investigate whether freshman New York Congressman George Santos may have engaged in unlawful activity with respect to his 2022 congressional campaign, failed to properly disclose required information on statements filed with the House, violated federal conflict of interest laws in connection with his role in a firm providing fiduciary services, and/or engaged in sexual misconduct towards an individual seeking employment in his congressional office.
Rep. David Joyce, a Republican from Ohio, will chair the investigative subcommittee and Rep. Susan Wild, a Democrat from Pennsylvania, will serve as its ranking member. John Rutherford, a Republican representative from Florida, and Glenn Ivey, a Democratic representative from Maryland, will be members of the panel.
Santos has been under scrutiny since December 2020, when a New York Times investigation found that the congressman had misrepresented numerous aspects of his career. Santos admitted to “embellishing” his resume, and more details about his past have continued to emerge.
In addition to outrageous fabrications about his private life, academic, and professional accomplishments, Santos has been linked to a lengthy list of questionable business dealings, such as his role at Harbor City Capital Corp. from 2020-2021. The SEC deemed the organization a “classic Ponzi scheme” in an April 2021 accusation versus the company. Santos was not mentioned in the complaint. Additionally, Santos has been accused of ATM skimming in Seattle in 2017, and he has been linked to a case of someone accused of ATM skimming in Seattle in 2017.
Santos’ puzzling financial disclosures have been the subject of media scrutiny, including listing donations attributed to names or addresses that don't exist, his campaign spending more than $26,000 at an Italian restaurant in Queens, and campaign-finance violation concerns. Two New York Democratic lawmakers, Reps. Ritchie Torres and Dan Goldman, filed a formal complaint with the House Ethics panel in January, alleging Santos violated federal ethics law by failing to file timely and accurate financial disclosure reports.
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Santos was legally elected and seated without objection, and House Republicans assigned Santos to two House committees in January. Santos resigned from his committees, claiming he had become a “distraction.“.
0. “House subcommittee will investigate claims against George Santos, who is ‘fully cooperating'” ABC News, 2 Mar. 2023, https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-subcommittee-investigate-claims-george-santos-fully-cooperating/story?id=97590411
1. “House ethics subcommittee to investigate George Santos for alleged unlawful activity, sexual misconduct” Gothamist, 2 Mar. 2023, https://gothamist.com/news/santos-to-face-probe-by-house-ethics-committee-subcommittee
2. “Rep. George Santos under investigation by House Ethics Committee” CBS News, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-santos-house-ethics-committee-investigation/
3. “McCarthy says he would have ‘difficulty’ backing Santos for reelection” The Hill, 28 Feb. 2023, https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3877991-mccarthy-says-he-would-have-difficulty-backing-santos-for-reelection
4. “‘Have not heard of him': George Santos has a new campaign treasurer but questions persist” CNN, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/george-santos-campaign-treasurer/index.html
5. “House Ethics Committee announces investigation into embattled Rep. George Santos” CNN, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/george-santos-house-ethics-committee/index.html
6. “George Santos' lies, ranked” City & State, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.cityandstateny.com/personality/2023/02/george-santos-lies-ranked/383446/
7. “George Santos' new treasurer is mystery figure linked to sister” Business Insider, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/george-santos-mysterious-new-treasure-unknown-to-local-politicians-2023-3
8. “House Ethics panel launches investigation into Santos” POLITICO, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/02/house-ethics-probe-george-santos-00085261
9. “House Ethics Committee launches investigation of Rep. George Santos” The Washington Post, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/02/santos-ethics-investigation
10. “House Ethics Committee Investigating George Santos for … Just About Everything” Yahoo Entertainment, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/house-ethics-committee-investigating-george-200556858.html