Georgia Judge to Release Portions of Special Grand Jury Report Investigating Trump and Allies’ 2020 Election Efforts
On Monday, a Georgia judge ruled that portions of a report by a special grand jury investigating former President Donald Trump and his allies’ efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election would be released later this week. The report includes an introduction, conclusion, and a section discussing possible perjury committed by witnesses before the grand jury.
The five-page excerpt released Thursday states that “a majority of the grand jury believes that perjury may have been committed by one or more witnesses testifying before it,” and recommends that the district attorney seek appropriate indictments “where the evidence is compelling.”
The investigation, which was requested by Fulton County District Attorney Fani T. Willis, had a charter to look into “the facts and circumstances relating directly or indirectly to possible attempts to disrupt the lawful administration of the 2020 presidential elections in the State or Georgia.”
Witnesses have included Trump’s former lawyers Rudy Giuliani and John Eastman, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Gov. Brian Kemp, and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.
The grand jury received evidence from or involving 75 witnesses during the course of the investigation, the majority of which was delivered in person under oath. The jury first heard evidence on June 1, 2022 and concluded its work earlier this month.
A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday to decide if the grand jury's report should be disclosed. The report of the grand jury, made up of 23 jurors and three alternates, is recommended to be made public. Should Willis choose to take legal action, she will need to seek indictments from an ordinary grand jury.
0. “Portions of Georgia grand jury report in 2020 election probe to be released this week, judge rules” ABC News, 13 Feb. 2023, https://abcnews.go.com/US/portions-georgia-grand-jury-report-2020-election-probe/story?id=97082426
1. “Trump election probe: Some witnesses may have lied, panel finds” Al Jazeera English, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/16/trump-election-probe-some-witnesses-may-have-lied-panel-finds
2. “The Georgia Trump grand jury report suggests indictments are coming.” Slate, 16 Feb. 2023, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/02/georgia-trump-grand-jury-report-suggests-indictments-perjury.html
3. “Takeaways from the partial release of a Georgia grand jury report on Trump and 2020 election” CNN, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/politics/takeaways-trump-georgia-grand-jury-report/index.html
4. “Witnesses in Trump election probe may have lied: Georgia grand jury” Grid, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.grid.news/story/politics/2023/02/16/witnesses-in-georgia-2020-election-probe-may-have-lied-grand-jury-says/
5. “Parts of report on Trump's Georgia election meddling to be released” The Jerusalem Post, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.jpost.com/international/article-731776