Escalating Russian Aggression Prompts Calls for Increased Weapons Supplies to Ukraine From U.S. and Allies
In response to escalating Russian aggression in the region, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has called for increased weapons supplies from the United States and its allies. In his latest address, Zelensky said the situation in the eastern Donetsk region was “very tough” with constant Russian attacks, and he urged the US to speed up the supply and opening of new necessary weaponry options for Ukraine.
The General Staff of Ukraine’s armed forces reported that its forces repelled an attack near Blahodatne in the eastern part of the Donetsk region, while Russia’s Wagner private military group said it took control of the village. Zelenskyy also issued an appeal for Russia to supply Ukraine with US-made ATACMS missiles with a range of about 300km, which Washington has so far declined to provide.
At a summit between defence ministers Sébastien Lecornu and Richard Marles, France and Australia also announced they would supply Ukraine with several thousand 155mm shells needed for artillery provided by the west since Russia’s invasion. The UK also announced that it would provide Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine, followed by similar promises from the United States and Germany.
Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to the Ukrainian president, said Ukraine needs supplies of long-range missiles “to drastically curtail the key tool of the Russian army” by destroying the warehouses where it stores artillery used on the front line. He added that the “logic of war” means that all of Russia will be dragged into what the Kremlin started, and that all of Russia’s major cities, such as Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Yekaterinburg, will be subject to strikes.
Meanwhile, Russia launched a heavy artillery barrage on Kherson on Sunday, per the Wall Street Journal. According to the Guardian, three people were killed and 10 others were hurt due to shelling of residential areas. The Institute for the Study of War reported that delays in providing Ukraine with long-range attack systems, advanced air defense systems, and tanks have limited its ability to “take advantage of opportunities for larger counter-offensive operations presented by flaws and failures in Russian military operations.”
0. “Ukraine needs more weapons: Zelensky” Oz Arab Media, 29 Jan. 2023, https://ozarab.media/ukraine-needs-more-weapons-zelensky/
1. “President Zelensky: We must speed up the supply of new weaponry options to Ukraine” Ukrinform, 29 Jan. 2023, https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3661689-president-zelensky-we-must-speed-up-the-supply-of-new-weaponry-options-to-ukraine.html
2. “Zelensky pleads for more weapons faster as Russia ramps up attacks” New York Post , 30 Jan. 2023, https://nypost.com/2023/01/30/zelensky-pleads-for-more-weapons-for-ukraine-faster
3. “Ukraine needs more weapons, faster: Zelenskyy” CNA, 29 Jan. 2023, https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/volodymyr-zelenskyy-ukraine-needs-more-weapons-faster-3240216
4. “Ukraine needs faster supply of western weapons, says Zelenskiy” The Guardian, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/30/ukraine-needs-faster-supply-of-western-weapons-says-zelenskiy
5. “Zelenskyy asks for quick supply of new weapons to Ukraine | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News” nhk.or.jp, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20230130_18
6. “Zelensky urges allies to send long-range missiles” The Hill, 29 Jan. 2023, https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3834986-zelensky-urges-allies-to-send-long-range-missiles/
7. “Ukraine Predicts Attacks on Major Russian Cities” The Daily Beast, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.thedailybeast.com/ukraine-predicts-attacks-on-major-russian-cities
8. “Zelensky calls for faster weapons deliveries after Western tanks pledge” Axios, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/01/30/zelensky-weapons-ukraine
9. “Ukraine's Zelensky wants the West to deliver him weapons faster” msnNOW, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraines-zelensky-wants-the-west-to-deliver-him-weapons-faster/ar-AA16TSRF