Donald Trump Faces Criminal Investigation and Potential Arrest, Calls on Supporters to Protest
Former President Donald Trump has called on his supporters to protest ahead of what he claims will be his imminent arrest in a criminal investigation related to hush money payments to porn star Stormy Daniels before the 2016 presidential election. On Saturday morning, Trump posted on his Truth Social platform in all capitals, saying that leaks from “a corrupt & highly political Manhattan district attorney’s office indicate he will be “ARRESTED ON TUESDAY OF NEXT WEEK.
The investigation relates to allegations of hush money payments made to Daniels in October 2016. Daniel was poised to go public with her allegation that she and Trump had a sexual encounter some 10 years prior. The payment was made by Michael Cohen, Trump's former fixer. Cohen pleaded guilty in 2018 to illegally paying off two women “at the direction of Trump.
Elon Musk, the CEO of both Twitter and Tesla, has surmised that if Trump were to be arrested, it would increase the likelihood of his re-election in a landslide victory. Musk tweeted, “If this happens, Trump will be re-elected in a landslide victory.” Trump’s lawyer, Joseph Tacopina, told CNBC on Friday that the former president will surrender to face criminal charges, should he be indicted.
USA TODAY's requests for comment were not immediately acknowledged by the New York Attorney General's office. But Trump's lawyer, Alan S. Futerfas, said in a statement Saturday: “No one has told us that the president is the target of any investigation, and to the contrary, the Acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York has previously stated that the president is not a target of any investigation.
Various authorities and investigators are continuing to examine Trump’s role in the January 6th insurrection as well as the potential mishandling of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago. Georgia prosecutors are nearing completion of their investigation into his attempts to alter the state's election results.
In Georgia, Trump is facing a criminal probe at the state level concerning his attempts to reverse the outcome of the 2020 election. The legal difficulties of Trump are not only present in the investigation taking place in Manhattan. An indictment is expected to be brought against him in Fulton County, Georgia, where a district attorney has been examining his attempt to undermine the 2020 election.
0. “Trump claims he will be arrested on Tuesday amid hush money payments investigation” ABC News, 18 Mar. 2023, https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-claims-arrested-tuesday-amid-hush-money-payments/story?id=97958464
1. “Trump rages online about Tuesday arrest in NY based on ‘tea leaves'” Business Insider, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-truth-social-indictment-charges-2023-3
2. “Trump claims he ‘will be arrested’ on Tuesday in New York criminal case” The Guardian US, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/18/donald-trump-arrest-stormy-daniels-
3. “Trump Says Arrest Coming Tuesday as Lawyers Prepare for Booking in Manhattan DA Probe” Rolling Stone, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-lawyers-preparing-indictment-booking-manhattan-da-probe-1234699463/
4. “Donald Trump is looking to create ‘violent clash,' Michael Cohen says” New York Post , 18 Mar. 2023, https://nypost.com/2023/03/18/donald-trump-wants-to-create-violent-clash-michael-cohen/
5. “Donald Trump says he expects to be arrested on Tuesday” Al Jazeera English, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/18/donald-trump-says-he-expects-to-be-arrested-on-tuesday
6. “Donald Trump's Protest Call to Arms Sparks Jan. 6 Comparisons” Newsweek, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps-protest-call-arms-sparks-jan-6-comparisons-1788702
7. “Trump's Lawyer Pledges Ex-Prez Will Turn Himself in if Indicted” The Daily Beast, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trumps-lawyer-pledges-ex-prez-will-turn-himself-in-if-indicted
8. “Donald Trump claims he will be arrested Tuesday in Manhattan probe, calls for protests” Yahoo News, 18 Mar. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-claims-arrested-tuesday-123858994.html
9. “Donald Trump calls for protests on Truth Social, claiming he will be arrested soon” The Washington Post, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-new-york
10. “Trump predicts imminent arrest, calls for protests” POLITICO, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-tuesday-00087738