Don Lemon Sparks Outrage With Comments in Nikki Haley Segment
On Thursday, CNN host Don Lemon sparked outrage when said that newly announced GOP presidential candidate Nikki Haley, 51, is past her prime. During the segment on “CNN This Morning”, Lemon declared that “when a woman is in their prime,” it’s in her “20s and 30s and maybe 40s.” His co-host Poppy Harlow quickly interjected, wondering what her colleague was talking about. Lemon was undeterred and stated that he was only sharing the facts, which you could locate if you search “when is a woman in her prime” on Google.
On Tuesday, Haley declared her intention to run for office in 2024 and the following day, she proposed a universal regulation that would necessitate politicians aged 75 and over to take “mental competency tests” before they could vie for a political position. “Liberals can’t stand the idea of having competency tests for older politicians to make sure they can do the job,” she tweeted.
Harlow then questioned Lemon again about what he meant by “prime” to which he said: “A woman is considered to be in their prime in [their] 20s and 30s and maybe 40s.” Harlow asked, “Prime for what?” Lemon urged Harlow, 40, and the audience to “Google it” instead of “shooting the messenger”, as he was placed in a defensive position.
It was no surprise that Haley utilized the attack to further her political campaign, and even engaged in some trolling of her own. She tweeted that she is not advocating for competency tests for Sexist middle-aged CNN anchors, but rather for those who are 75+ and make our laws.
Lemon expressed remorse for his remarks, subsequently taking to Twitter to clarify his position. I deeply regret the inappropriate and irrelevant reference I made to a woman's ‘prime' this morning, as it has been brought to my attention by colleagues and loved ones. It does not matter how old a woman is, this does not define her individually or professionally. I have many women in my life that demonstrate this truth on a daily basis.
Joe Concha, a Fox News contributor, pointed out that Don Lemon is 56 years old, making him older than Haley.
0. “Don Lemon makes sexist ‘prime’ comment about Nikki Haley” Sacramento Bee, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/article272530831.html
1. “Don Lemon Apologizes After ‘Completely Offensive’ Remarks Irk His Female Colleagues” Yahoo Finance, 16 Feb. 2023, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/don-lemon-annoys-female-colleagues-162352154.html
2. “CNN’s Don Lemon: Nikki Haley ‘isn’t in her prime’” The Hill, 16 Feb. 2023, https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3861234-cnns-don-lemon-nikki-haley-isnt-in-her-prime
3. “Don Lemon apologizes after saying Nikki Haley, 51, ‘isn't in her prime'” Business Insider, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/don-lemon-apologizes-said-nikki-haley-isnt-in-prime-2023-2
4. “Don Lemon MISSING from CNN show a day after ‘sexist' remark” Daily Mail, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11763105/CNNs-Don-Lemon-MISSING-morning-day-sexist-remark-women.html
5. “Don Lemon's CNN colleagues angered by ‘stupid' remarks about Nikki Haley being past her prime” Fox News, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/media/don-lemons-cnn-colleagues-angered-stupid-remarks-about-nikki-haley-past-prime
6. “Playbook: Fox News' split screen spills into view” POLITICO, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2023/02/17/fox-news-split-screen-spills-into-view-00083407
7. “Poppy Harlow Leaves CNN Set Following Don Lemon’s Tone-Deaf Comments About Women ‘In Their Prime’” TV Insider, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.tvinsider.com/1082066/poppy-harlow-don-lemon-cnn-set-nikki-haley/
8. “Don Lemon Stuns Co-Host After Saying 50-Year-Old Women Are Past Their Prime” Newsweek, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/don-lemon-50-year-old-women-past-their-prime-nikki-haley-1781820