Disaster on the Turkish-Syrian Border: Show Your Solidarity & Support Earthquake Victims
On February 6, 2021, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake rocked the Turkish-Syrian border, leaving over 33,000 dead in its wake. The United Nations (UN) has warned that the final number may double due to the precarious conditions in the area. In addition to the civil war, displacement due to ISIS’s reign of terror, Russian bombing campaigns, and the government’s blockade, the area is now dealing with the aftermath of the destructive earthquake.
The quake has caused significant destruction, with over 2,000 people dead and thousands injured. Rescue teams are still searching for survivors in the rubble, and in some cases, their efforts are still being rewarded. However, the harsh winter temperatures create further health risks for people who have been displaced due to collapsed and unsafe buildings.
This earthquake is particularly large and devastating, releasing more than twice as much energy as the largest previously recorded earthquake in the region (magnitude 7.4). It occurred in an area where several tectonic plates meet, along the North Anatolian Fault, which divides the Eurasian and Anatolian plates.
As the aftermath of this monumental crisis continues to be felt by the people living in the region, increased global support and solidarity to deliver humanitarian assistance is essential in the weeks and months of recovery ahead. The Turkish Embassy and Turkish Consulates are accepting in-kind assistance, such as blankets, tents, sleeping bags, pocket warmers, winter clothing, and over-the-counter medications. People are also encouraged to donate to the American Red Cross and the Turkish Red Crescent to support the earthquake response.
It is important to show our support during this difficult time and help those affected by the disaster. By signing up to donate, we can aid in the recovery and provide much needed assistance to those affected.
0. “Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief” Direct Relief, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.directrelief.org/emergency/turkey-syria-earthquake/
1. “Top 10 world news: Turkey-Syria earthquake death toll crosses 33,000, NATO chief to step down, and more” WION, 12 Feb. 2023, https://www.wionews.com/world/top-10-world-news-turkey-syria-earthquake-death-toll-crosses-33000-nato-chief-to-step-down-and-more-561259
2. “Earthquake aid crisis in Syria demands international attention” Vox.com, 12 Feb. 2023, https://www.vox.com/world/2023/2/12/23594720/earthquake-aid-crisis-syria-united-nations
3. “Devastating Earthquake Hits Syria and Turkey” UNICEF USA, 7 Feb. 2023, https://www.unicefusa.org/stories/devastating-earthquake-hits-syria-and-turkey/40794
4. “Turkey earthquake relief donations collected in Rochester” Spectrum News, 12 Feb. 2023, https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2023/02/12/turkish-society-of-rochester-gathers-donations-for-turkey-earthquake-relief-efforts
5. “Turkey-Syria earthquakes: a seismologist explains what has happened” The Conversation, 6 Feb. 2023, https://theconversation.com/turkey-syria-earthquakes-a-seismologist-explains-what-has-happened-199340
6. “After massive Turkey quakes, Istanbul residents fear the next one” Al Jazeera English, 11 Feb. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/11/we-live-in-distress-istanbul-residents-worry-over-coming-quake
7. “In Türkiye and Syria” American Red Cross, 11 Feb. 2023, https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/news/2023/red-crescent-teams-responding-to-earthquake-in-turkey-and-syria.html
8. “Turkey and Syria earthquake: where to donate in the US to help victims” The Guardian, 10 Feb. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/09/how-to-help-turkey-syria-earthquake-us-donations