Arrest Made in Connection with Two Separate Anti-Semitic Shootings in Los Angeles
On Thursday, a suspect was arrested in connection with two separate shooting incidents targeting two Jewish men in Los Angeles, California, as they left a synagogue. The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) announced the arrest after the two men were shot in the Pico-Robertson neighborhood within 24 hours of each other.
The first shooting took place around 10 a.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Shenandoah and Cashio streets, when a man in his 40s was shot in the back while walking to his vehicle. The second incident occurred around 8:30 a.m. Thursday near Pickford and South Bedford streets, when a man walking home was shot in the arm. The attacks did not prove fatal to either of the
The suspect was apprehended in Riverside County, east of Los Angeles, at around 5:45 p.m. on Thursday. He was in possession of a rifle and a handgun. The police said the facts of the case led them to investigate this crime as a hate crime, and in an abundance of caution, there will be an increased police presence and patrols around Jewish places of worship and surrounding neighborhoods through the weekend.
Mayor Karen Bass released a statement saying, “These attacks against members of our Jewish community in the Pico-Robertson neighborhood are absolutely unacceptable. At a time of increased anti-Semitism, these acts have understandably set communities on edge.”
The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles said the shootings are being treated as a hate crime as the suspect has a history of animus toward the Jewish community. Agudath Israel of America, an organization that represents Haredi Orthodox Jews, said they are “greatly concerned over two shootings on consecutive days victimizing Orthodox Jews leaving their synagogues following morning prayers.
Lili Bosse, the mayor of Beverly Hills, also confirmed that police were placing extra security around our houses of worship in our city.
Anyone with information was encouraged to contact LAPD at 1-877-LAPD-24-7. Anyone who wishes to remain unknown can dial the LA Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8577. The FBI is also assisting the LAPD in the investigation to determine if it was a hate crime.
0. “Police arrest suspect in consecutive shootings of Los Angeles Jewish men” Forward, 15 Feb. 2023, https://forward.com/news/536382/jewish-man-shot-pico-robertson-morning-services-los-angeles/
1. “WeHo Sheriff's Increase Security on Jewish Locations After Synagogue Shootings in Los Angeles” WEHO TIMES, 17 Feb. 2023, https://wehotimes.com/weho-sheriffs-increase-security-on-jewish-locations-after-synagogue-shootings-in-los-angeles
2. “Man with animus toward Jewish community arrested in L.A. shootings, sources say” msnNOW, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-with-animus-toward-jewish-community-arrested-in-l-a-shootings-sources-say/ar-AA17AugM
3. “Man Suspected In Shootings of Jews Leaving Synagogues Arrested” MyNewsLA.com, 17 Feb. 2023, https://mynewsla.com/crime/2023/02/16/man-suspected-in-shootings-of-jews-leaving-synagogues-arrested-3
4. “LAPD arrests suspect in shootings of 2 Jewish people, which police are investigating as potential hate crimes” CNN, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/17/us/los-angeles-jewish-shooting-suspect-arrest/index.html
5. “Suspect with history of ‘animus toward the Jewish community' arrested over LA shootings” Jewish News, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/suspect-with-history-of-animus-toward-the-jewish-community-arrested-over-la-shootings
6. “Man found shot in Pico Rivera alleyway” 2UrbanGirls, 10 Feb. 2023, https://2urbangirls.com/2023/02/man-found-shot-in-pico-rivera-alleyway/
7. “Two Jews Shot in Los Angeles in Separate Incidents” Anash.org – Good News, 16 Feb. 2023, https://anash.org/two-jews-shot-in-los-angeles-in-separate-incidents/
8. “2 Jewish men shot leaving synagogue in 24-hours in Pico-Robertson area” FOX 11 Los Angeles, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxla.com/news/jewish-men-shot-synagogue-pico-robertson
9. “Two Separate Shootings Of Jewish Men In L.A. Over The Course Of 24 Hours Are Being Investigated As Hate Crimes” Deadline, 17 Feb. 2023, https://deadline.com/2023/02/two-shootings-jews-los-angeles-in-24-hours-hate-crimes-1235262942/